Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil relief valve

I just changed my drivers side head gasket. I put it all back together and the valves are knocking really bad. I pulled the valve cover off and the cam is completely dry. I also noticed a decent amount of air coming out of the oil fill tube. I did a little research and saw it could be the o-ring between the came and the head or the oil relief valve. I loosened the oil relief valve and made sure it was at the right torque. I wanted to know what others might think it could be. Also what I should look for on the relief valve to see if its bad

Edited by scorpiankill

Dumn question but is there any chance you put the headgasket on backwards?  Blocking the oil port?

To rule this out, take the relief valve out of the head, and crank engine a little.  See if oil comes out.

If not, you blocked the port somehow.

A leaking O-ring would still allow some oil, so if there is NONE, the port is blocked.

• Like 1

It does get a tiny bit of oil because my valve covers love to leak. The cam has the tiniest bit of oil on it but I know it requires way more to be lubed correctly. The head gasket i bought couldn't be put in backwards. It wouldn't fit. I'm going to take the cam tower out in a few days

2 minutes ago, scorpiankill said:

It does get a tiny bit of oil because my valve covers love to leak. The cam has the tiniest bit of oil on it but I know it requires way more to be lubed correctly. The head gasket i bought couldn't be put in backwards. It wouldn't fit. I'm going to take the cam tower out in a few days

I've seen people install the gasket backwards.  Results in exactly what you are describing.

Make double sure.  If you did this, the gasket edge with the hole i it will be poking out the bottom of the head/block seem.

If that's not it, then you've got some foreign debris or sealant blocking the passage.

The head gasket was put on correctly no holes showing and all the edges line up. I took off the valve cover and cranked it. The valve was shooting out a good amount of oil. It wasnt however shooting it directly on the cam that makes contact with the rocker arms. Its hitting the cam a few millimeters to the side of it. I'm going to loosen the bolts on the valve and see if I can slide it over to line up

I took out the whole valve. I saw that the small bolt hole flap was leaning to one side. I straightened as best I could. Oil is going directly onto the cam now. It should be getting more than enough lube. The sound seems like it's coming from the valve itself or the lash adjuster. When I took the cam out before all of the rocker arms fell out. I didnt put them in the right spots unless randomly guessing worked out. If they weren't in the right spot could they cause a loud tick?