Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vss dash problems for ej swap

On 8/16/2019 at 2:26 PM, FerGloyale said:

It's not a "safety switch"

It is simply a signal to the ECU, and has ZERO effect on cranking or starting.

Cold start-up the ECU doesn't care whether in "N' or driving, it's all open loop, fixed maps for warm up.

After warm up, it goes closed loop, and that's when it matters for idle. (in combo with VSS)

It never has any effect on cranking.  The "lockout" to keep it from being started while a gear is engaged is from the clutch switch and a relay.

Neutral switch is not part of that system, so it's not a "Safety Switch"

just clarifying. (It's like when people say "Pollution Control Valve" for PCV....ugh.)

Your problem sounds more like VSS with the Rev limit and all.

I pulled codes today and found nothing that would set it into limp mode, but I did read that this neutral could very much be my problem, could someone please help me find this part or a wiring diagram as my 88' gl doesnt have this (99' Impreza 2.2 phase ii engine)

5 hours ago, Zippy310 said:

I pulled codes today and found nothing that would set it into limp mode, but I did read that this neutral could very much be my problem, could someone please help me find this part or a wiring diagram as my 88' gl doesnt have this (99' Impreza 2.2 phase ii engine)

88 Gl should indeed have had a neutral switch.  It was originally FI, correct?

Edited by FerGloyale

• 3 years later...
On 10/18/2019 at 10:38 PM, FerGloyale said:

88 Gl should indeed have had a neutral switch.  It was originally FI, correct?

Was this problem ever solved? Would really be interested in hearing the solution if so. I'm anticipating having a similar problem with my swap.