Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loud gear noise, no parking gear

2000 Legacy Limited. AT, 2.5, 160K miles

ZERO serious issues since buying 12 years ago.

Noise originally started when turning sharply at low speeds. Assumed CV joints but wasn't driving much so put it in the back of my mind.

Made real sharp turn coming out of driveway and that's when the "gear" noise started. Sounded like loud teeth noise. Drove a few hundred feet and noise got considerably worse. RPM and speedo way off I noticed. No matter which gear I selected, same gear noise. AT Temp light started flashing and I immediately stopped. When I parked, the P gear would make same noise and car would roll, had to use manual brake. 

Fluid is clean and doesn't smell, it does look like it was overfilled?

I am a heavy diesel mechanic, I know my way around but certainly not qualified to diagnose any further.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jonvigier
forgot additional info

Sounds like it could be a free wheeling drive axle. Have you checked the CV joints?

Classic symptom of "park" not working since there's an open drive shaft. 

Are you saying the noise continues with the car stopped with the engine running or just when moving?

Edited by Suzam
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Suzam said:

Sounds like it could be a free wheeling drive axle. Have you checked the CV joints?

Classic symptom of "park" not working since there's an open drive shaft. 

Are you saying the noise continues with the car stopped with the engine running or just when moving?

Thanks for such a prompt answer, much appreciated.

Have not checked CV joints yet, waiting for this monsoon to stop.

Noises stop when car is stopped. Start when changing gears and when first starting to move.

Drain the front diff. I think you probably lost the front differential on the transmission. The speedo drives from the front pinion and the only way that's going to spin freely without driving the wheels is if you lost the teeth on the ring and pinion. I've seen plenty of duty-c failures and never have they resulted in this behavior. Also duty-c and clutch pack failures on 99+ transmissions are rare. I've seen plenty of fragged front diff R&P's though.

GD

19 hours ago, Jonvigier said:

CV axles are fine. I'm thinking torque bind on the noise while turning. All the symptoms check out.

Next step is to add the FWD fuse to see if symptoms persist.

I'm guessing at this point that the duty clutch solenoid may be to blame?

they can look fine but still be broken.  Visual inspection isn't enough.

Open the hood, and look at the inner CV cups while an assistant puts the car into gear (holding brakes)

If a CV is broken you will see the axle cup spinning but wheel not turning.

Torque bind feels like dragging brakes while turning sharp, but doesn't make grinding noise and would not ahve any effect on Parking pawl.

I'm 90% that you have a broken front CV axle.

• Like 1