Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I’m hoping to get some insight on a rubbing noise coming from the RF area of my 2010 Outback Premium. I know basically nothing about cars, but what I can say is this:

It started quiet and has gotten progressively louder over 2 months

It sounds like a tire rubbing on plastic (but the tire is not rubbing anywhere)

It gets noticeable from about 40mph up

it gets louder if I’m taking a left turn, quieter to nonexistent if I’m taking a right turn

It’s related wheel speed, not engine rpm

My tire is cupping; I got an alignment and a rotation and the noise is still happening from the same vehicle location

It does not sound like a hub going out because that did happen last year and I replaced all 4 hubs

First mechanic was sure it was just out of alignment. It was, but the noise is still happening.

Second mechanic who does not do tranny work suggested I take it to a shop that does.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

were OEM hub assemblies installed?

any recent work on that area of the car? maybe the brake dust shield is rubbing on the rotor?

Yes the hubs were OEM and replaced about 9 months ago. Nothing but an oil change and a new battery installed since then.

Yep, that happened on both our Legacy's. Yours look very similar. I replaced left and right on our 95. On our 97 it was just the right side, so I got out the heat gun and used a board to get it back into shape and added a few screws and washers to hold it.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:57 AM, FerGloyale said:

Look at the plastic liner in the fender well.

It may be cracked and blowing backward into the tire, on;y at higher speeds (over 40)  

So it’s not cracked but it is definitely missing whatever should be holding it in place. Could it seriously be something this simple?!

B5532810-0857-45BE-AE26-BC07A0100F41.jpeg

2 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

yup

that's the issue.

So I’m at work and can’t do much else than tuck it back under where it belongs.. but the noise is still happening and when I check it’s not popped back out. Could it be vibrating somehow because it’s loose? I will try and secure it tonight and test drive it then.