Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Online Service Manual

Hey all,

Some time ago there was a link to a very good online service manual. DOes it still exist? and if so can somone post the link please....I need to replace my waterpump and that would be a great resource to have.

Thanks

Steve

Yup that is the one i was thinking about. THanks miles and everyone else that responded. Should be a piece of cake :D (i hope) LOL

Steve

Good luck! I've been trying to accomplish the same thing on my 92 Loyale. So far I've broken two strap wrenches (one was supposedly designed for removing crank pulleys) and I still can't get my crank pulley off. Although I've gotten lots of advice from here, I can't seem to make it work.

Dianalee

Good luck! I've been trying to accomplish the same thing on my 92 Loyale. So far I've broken two strap wrenches (one was supposedly designed for removing crank pulleys) and I still can't get my crank pulley off. Although I've gotten lots of advice from here, I can't seem to make it work.

Dianalee

Crank pulley.

If its an auto, jam a big screwdriver in the flex plate and your good to go. If its a manual, you have a few options.

1- Brace rachet and long breaker bar against fender and bump the key(not recommended by me)

2- Get the tool from subaru $$

3- Drill a hole in the top of the bellhousing and drop a screwdriver or something through it into the hole in the flywheel. (note, I don't suggest using a punch.. they break.. I have a crappy old phillips screwdriver that is the perfect size that I keep around just for this.)

#3 is my preferred way of doing it. Thank you to moosens for the idea.

Crank pulley.

If its an auto, jam a big screwdriver in the flex plate and your good to go. If its a manual, you have a few options.

1- Brace rachet and long breaker bar against fender and bump the key(not recommended by me)

3- Drill a hole in the top of the bellhousing and drop a screwdriver or something through it into the hole in the flywheel. (note, I don't suggest using a punch.. they break.. I have a crappy old phillips screwdriver that is the perfect size that I keep around just for this.)

On my 88 DL with the auto trans, i just pulled the black rubber boot on the flywheel and cranked the motor by hand till i got to the notch and jammed a good screwdriver (flathead) in and the pulley came off really easy. Thanks again to all who responded to me the repair went really rather smothe was just diffucult cause i had never done that before on a subby :D

Steve

Crank pulley.

What is "the tool" (as in how does is work and would I really have better luck with it) and how much does it cost? I'm going to have to do this again (replace the timing belt) in 60,000 miles, right? That's about a year for me and I would like it to be easier next time or I will find myself putting it off.

I did try jamming a screwdriver in the flexplate and now my timing window is bigger. I'm thinking of putting a curtain over it and plants in front.

Dianalee