Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale cranks but no spark

Hello all and thanks for reading! 

My '92 Loyale non-turbo SPFI has been sitting for a couple months and now won't start. It started and ran perfectly well before. I've checked various things and I'm at about my wit's end with it. Basically, when I turn the key, the engine cranks with no trouble but doesn't start. I checked for spark on all of the plugs and got none. Checked for spark on the dist where the coil plugs in, none. I took out the coil, cleaned up all the grounds, checked the resistance (although I'm a fool with electricity) and it seemed alright. Put it back, no change. I checked the error code and it threw an 11 and 13, so I checked the crank angle sensor and it was perfectly clean (I don't know how to check it other than visually). I've also heard that those are ghost codes that don't actually mean anything, so it's possible nothing is wrong there. 

The rotor and dist cap are both new so I know they're fine. The rotor spins as well so I know the timing belt isn't broken. It's not likely that it was thrown off a tooth or two because it was just sitting there when the problem arose. The battery is charged. All the fuzes and fusible links are in good condition. The fuel pump is buzzing just like it always did and I smell gas on the plugs after trying to start it.

I really have no clue what it is now. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I only have a couple days to get it running. 

Thanks!

I had the optical crank sensor in the distributor fail once with no warning. I don't remember how to test it, but I had all the same symptoms you describe, and a "new" distributor solved it.

Sorry I don't have more information, but it was more than 10 years ago....hopefully it gets you a direction that you can research/test.

I took out the coil, cleaned up all the grounds, checked the resistance (although I'm a fool with electricity) and it seemed alright. Put it back, no change.

As Dave said, make sure you have power going into the coil then check for power coming out of the coil.