Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof rack placement

Place them evenly on the roof where you want them - ensuring the cross bars still fit (probably best to have them fitted to the rails so you can get them square on the roof). 

Be sure not to drill your holes “too deep” - aka don’t let the drill bit sink into the roof, otherwise kiss your headlining goodbye. 

Also rust proof the holes before fitting the rivnut. You’ll thank yourself later for taking the time to do this! 

Cheers 

Bennie

My '83 EA81 Wagon had this rack already installed when I got it. At every place the rack was attached I noticed a little rust starting. I ended up removing mine and filling all the holes. I had to repaint the entire roof, just a thought. They do look nice though. I still have 2 different styles of racks in the garage for a someday project. Thanks for the pic. Everyone on here likes the pictures :D

Edited by Crazyeights

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Place them evenly on the roof where you want them - ensuring the cross bars still fit (probably best to have them fitted to the rails so you can get them square on the roof). 

Be sure not to drill your holes “too deep” - aka don’t let the drill bit sink into the roof, otherwise kiss your headlining goodbye. 

Also rust proof the holes before fitting the rivnut. You’ll thank yourself later for taking the time to do this! 

Cheers 

Bennie

I'm already replacing the headliner so I will and going to paint and seal it from both sides. Just trying to figure out about where the stock one is placed, and the spacing of the support ribs

18 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I don’t think there ever was a stock one - they’re an after factory item, possibly added by the dealer as an extra. 

Cheers 

Bennie

They show them in all the sales brochures, and it has a Subaru part number on it.

subarudlgl1993_01_010.jpg