Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

I have a 2.2T in my Brat. It has the stock plastic expansion tank on the engine. I had the stock Brat radiator modified for the coolant hoses for the Ej motor. I have the small coolant line coming off the drivers side of the engine that originally went into the white overflow tank, which I don't have any room for. 

Can I just take that coolant line and connect it right to the Brat radiator cap overflow nipple? Or do I need that overflow tank?

The engine came out of an auto tranny, I am not sure what the manual versions had. Does anyone have a pic or manual diagram?

I was thinking, if I just fill the Brat radiator to its normal tab level inside the radiator and then connect the line from the motor to the cap nipple, would that be okay?

If you connect that line to the radiator’s overflow line from the filler cap, you’ll just be pressurising this line from both ends. 

You’ll need to add an overflow bottle and have both of these lines end in the bottle. Or run two bottles - one for each line. Then you’ll know which cap is doing all the work ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie