Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Tuning Problem - Idle

So, i'll reinstall in the factory position. I'm guessing this can't suck air from atmo, it has to be metered air. So'll plumb it in somewhere between the MAF and the throttle body... not sure where exactly yet. Probally off my IC tubes somewhere.

Ahh, good thinking, I have mine with a breather pod of the intake side. Perhaps it does need to be metered air? Anyone know?

garner

Dude...i'll tell you without a question..YOU ARE RUNNING RICH!!!!!!!!!!!

Our ice racer is running more fuel pressure and won't run worth a crap until it is warm. It won't even idle. if you turn down the fuel pressure...problem is solved

Somehow I don't think its the fuel pressure. He's running 34 psi.

According to my FSM, stock is 36.3 psi, relative to manifold pressure.

88: If its good enough for the factory ECU, its good enough for me to rough tune with. I'm not going to argue that it isn't as accurate as a WB02, but saying its worthless is just plain ignorant.

Garner: WJM is correct, it should be metered air... along the same reasons a BOV should be recirculated.

WJM: You Rock.

Do It Sideways: I would argue that I am not running rich. I'm running less PSI than stock, albeit on a non-stock system. Besides, i'd much rather be rich than lean.

Calebz: Thanks for the info...

As soon as i can get back into my garage again i'll make some changes.

The two I'd been looking at heavily are the Zeitronix ZT-2, and the Innovative Motorsports LM-1.

They both offer some very nice computer logging features, but the feature that reallllly grabs my attention is the mountable LCD readout for the ZT-2. It's the kit I've been thinking about getting myself.

Also, with the base prices being $349 for the LM-1 and $279 for the Zeitronix (Not incl. LCD Display, $399 with it) makes things even more tempting. However, in many applications to get the most outta the hardware it's nice to have a laptop to do wideband logging on. So, instead of nitrous runs where merely watching a gauge rise or fall you can log it.

Personally, the ZT-2 is the way I think I'm going. $399 for the whole package, it can take inputs from other model EGT sensors (which I've got), simulates a stock narrowband signal for the stock ECU, does 9 hours of datalogging, has inputs for boost and TPS and so forth, etc...

For the price and the features, I don't know how I can go wrong.

For what it's worth, as I reported, I was having the same problem. No idle at cold start up. In the last couple days I plumbed the AAV to metered air, and plumbed the BOV to recirculate.

Presto, starts and idles cold (80 degrees in shop.) Now to figure out what causes the slugishness at about 3500-4000 rpm.....

Anyway, worked for me, good luck Subarutex and thanks all for pointing out how I had strayed....

garner

Ok, so this weekend was the first chance i've had in awhile to get some serious behind the wheel time with the car.

Idle problem mostly fixed... reinstalled the AAV, seems to work. However, it idles at like 1500. Any lower and it tends to die. Could be timing or fuel pressure related.

The car is pretty doggy. I put close to 120 miles on it this weekend, and i'm not very pleased. Basically, the engine has no torque. The cams come alive at about 3000 it seems, driving improves from there. At about 3500 the turbo hits and you are scooting along. Because of this, it leads to a driving style that is: wait for it, wait for it... go go go go go STOP, wait for it, wait for it... go go go go go.

It seems hard to slowly accelerate to a certain speed, simply because you have to flog the engine so hard to get it to go.

Starting on a hill... I'm done for. Just kinda crawl along.

So... it could be the delta cams and the wrx turbo, just not a good mix. Could be the exhaust. Could be timing. Could be a lot of things. Let me know your thoughts, ask questions, i'll do my best to answer them to the fullest. The dream is still alive, just wary I guess.