Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fireworks display on the dash - tranny troubles?

Hi all,

Out of nowhere, on my 2013 Subaru Impreza, my AT Oil Temp light went on (blinking yellow), Check Engine Temp went on (solid), hill stability went on (solid), traction control went on (solid), and cruise control went on (blinking). The car drives perfectly fine. No trouble transitioning gears when speeding up, no idling problems, nothing. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I would throw it out to the forum to see if there might be something simple to check. I am waiting for the car to cool down to check the trans fluid level, but I don't think that's it. Specs on car: 153,000 k miles with original CVT, change oil regularly every 6 k (synthetic, so probably overkill, but I know the value of good oil), had half the engine replaced on warranty last year, most mileage is highway (I have a 60 mile commute to work, all highway). 

Thanks!

Edited by abstoler

If you have a volt meter, check the battery voltage while it is sitting and then while running.

About four years ago on our 95 all the dash warning lights came on and off several times. Turned out to be a broken broken brush in the alternator. I fixed that and a few months later the battery stopped holding a charge so I put a new one in. Two weeks later the new battery developed a shorted cell and burned out the alternator, so I had to replace both. Of course, the battery warranty does not cover collateral damage.

UPDATE: It's the valve body and two solenoids. Genuine subaru part clocks in at $800. Parts and labor clock in at $500. FML. I better get another 50k out of this thing. Honestly, between the recalls and other fixes, I think I'm giving up on subies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abstoler said:

UPDATE: It's the valve body and two solenoids. Genuine subaru part clocks in at $800. Parts and labor clock in at $500. FML. I better get another 50k out of this thing. Honestly, between the recalls and other fixes, I think I'm giving up on subies.

Better make sure it's not the wiring harness to the valve body. Are you absolutely sure they ruled that out?

GD

We replace valve bodies occasionally at work. Same condition you have, where it drives just fine but the lights flare up. 

Not sure how long you'll have before issues actually arise or if you ever do but one customer got almost 5k miles before she got scared and had us replace it.