Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine flush result

The poor ea82 in my loyale wasn't maintained very well by the old lady previous owner. I decided to try a engine flush product, and was actually surprised it worked. I had just done the valve cover gasket and both covers were 100% covered in sludge. It was a thick layer, enough that you could scrape it off with your finger. I bought a cheap engine flush and ran it on the next oil change. The stuff is basically diesel fuel with some additives. I lost the before pics, but you couldn't even tell they were aluminum. In the head the only thing that looked like metal was the cam lobes. Now there are clear sections of aluminum! The cam and caps cleaned up amazing. The cover wasn't as dramatic, but I think that's because it dosent get as much oil flow. It has to of cleaned a pound of sludge off the heads!

20200713_162130.jpg

20200713_154022.jpg

Nice and rare to find just a golden tinge to the internals instead of black carbon crudge the norm.

I pulled one of my rebuilds apart after 120,000 km ( because I had to :( ) . Pristine,like new inside after 8 years due to oil and filter change every 10,000 km

Have seen and heard of engines doing 50 and 60,000 km without an oil change. The old VW air coolers driven weekly by widows being found full of oil turned to grease or the Buick designed V6 finally seizing and snapping a camshaft

Makes me wonder how far our Subes have been neglected

Now, I dare you to try a coolant flush...

4 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

Nice and rare to find just a golden tinge to the internals instead of black carbon crudge the norm.

I pulled one of my rebuilds apart after 120,000 km ( because I had to :( ) . Pristine,like new inside after 8 years due to oil and filter change every 10,000 km

Have seen and heard of engines doing 50 and 60,000 km without an oil change. The old VW air coolers driven weekly by widows being found full of oil turned to grease or the Buick designed V6 finally seizing and snapping a camshaft

Makes me wonder how far our Subes have been neglected

Now, I dare you to try a coolant flush...

It wasn't all golden before the flush! 

Also I did the coolant, it was surprisingly all green still. No brown sludge like I'm used to on old coolant. Only issue there is it takes about a cup of coolant per oil change, and I can't find where it's going. Hope it isn't the start of a head gasket.

Could be head gasket, or intake gasket, or the seal for the throttle body to intake.  Or a seep from a hose, water pump seal, rusted hard line on top of the engine.
Normally with the head gasket, you can see bubbles endlessly coming out of the radiator, either by looking in the filler, or into the recovery tank.

7 hours ago, DaveT said:

Could be head gasket, or intake gasket, or the seal for the throttle body to intake.  Or a seep from a hose, water pump seal, rusted hard line on top of the engine.
Normally with the head gasket, you can see bubbles endlessly coming out of the radiator, either by looking in the filler, or into the recovery tank.

I haven't seen coolant in the engine, and it's constantly about a cup every 4K miles. No bubbles. I replaced the throttle body gaskets already too. It isn't enough to tear into things, but just enough to bother me.

If it's seeping into the intake,  you won't see anything. 

Most of the slow leaks I've had externally were very sneaky also.  The hot block evaporates it, leaving little trace.  Many would only leak at  pressure, when it's at operating temperature.   As long as you check it frequently,  you can get away with it, but I've had the leak rate suddenly increase, with little or no warning, and then it's a full headgasket up reseal, if it only overheats a little.

Probably won't have the same product in Aus but sharing a name would be good please, others can then try it.

Maybe we could get a sticky started where people can recommend products they have had success with. On the condition of course that it doesn't turn into a brand bagging sticky, lets keep it positive and not bad mouth companies please.

Hate to admit it but I've actually poored about 2 Litres of Diesel/Kero mix into the sump of a car, worked a treat but not something I would recommend.

Hard to find over here, well thier oil is, a lot of places can order it in but in my area, no one stocks it but I use a lot of liquimoly oils, additives and the likes. I really like them and they always seem to give great results. Honestly, I rate thier oil as one of the top oils on the market. Was a Castrol man for a lot of years and still think they make a lot of good products but thier oil doesn't rate compared to Liquimoly. This is of course only my opinion. But for those who take close attention to fuel mileage, engine noise and general feel of an engine, try it, I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Regards,

Al

Al, nobody would recommend you to pour water into your crankcase but it is available in most countries about the same formula. 

Once it mixes via heat and pressure it does a great clean up of the oil contact areas. Then, just an oil and filter change to get the buttermilk mix out and vent off the crankcase until all residual water gone after each drive - oil cap off