UnorganizedMechanic

Stoopid dog - 1984 Brat

Thus begins the saga of rebuilding a seized engine, a seized water pump, broken bolts, registration woes, and the many other problems from sitting for years in who-knows-where.  So far, it's living up to its namesake, but it's complete and in good condition. 

bratthumb.jpg

bratthumb01.jpg

20200711_132120.jpg

Looking good!

Whats up with the muffin tray? :D

20 minutes ago, Probz said:

Looking good!

Whats up with the muffin tray? :D

It's where I keep all my most valuable parts, specially my muffin tops. 

Ancient mechanic technology, use the old lady's baking hardware to keep your nuts and bolts. :)  

After long hours of PB blaster, torches, slide hammering, cursing, crying, kicking, torching, cutting, prying, yelling, and more hammering, it finally came up.  A possible bent intake manifold, but who cares?  I won.

20200724_163108.jpg

20200721_181312.jpg

3 hours ago, UnorganizedMechanic said:

It's where I keep all my most valuable parts, specially my muffin tops. 

Ancient mechanic technology, use the old lady's baking hardware to keep your nuts and bolts. :)  

I use our old rusty cake tins for this and collecting the odd oil drop from laid up engines or vehicles. They’re very handy for catching small amounts of oil when opening up rocker covers etc too. 

@UnorganizedMechanic - I reckon you need to bin that EA81. Keep the oil pump (do not hit it or you WILL crack the housing rendering it useless). 

Options:

1) find a good EA81 to drop in

2) EJ it. You won’t look back once it’s done. If doing a full DIY you need to push through the poo that so many give up in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

21 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

I use our old rusty cake tins for this and collecting the odd oil drop from laid up engines or vehicles. They’re very handy for catching small amounts of oil when opening up rocker covers etc too. 

@UnorganizedMechanic - I reckon you need to bin that EA81. Keep the oil pump (do not hit it or you WILL crack the housing rendering it useless). 

Options:

1) find a good EA81 to drop in

2) EJ it. You won’t look back once it’s done. If doing a full DIY you need to push through the poo that so many give up in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

So many uses for baking tins, I love it.

Here in California there are more hoops to jump through than a seal in a circus when doing engine conversions of that extent.  Plus it's more money I'm trying to not spend.  Good idea though and I'd love to do it, but as for now I'm going to crack open the ea81 carefully and see what I've got to work with.  Plus a brand used ea81 so far is around $300 - $400 USD from these local maniacs that horde them.

If anything, it'll be something fun to document and share. 

Thanks for the comment @el_freddo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This hunk of junk is registered. The engine is out. The cylinders look like poo. PB blaster didn't do much. Trans/marvel/diesel cocktail didn't help much to loosen the pistons.  Attempting the old Coca-Cola sauce to loosen the rust. Evapo-rust is on the shopping list. Lots of hammering and torching the pistons yet to come. 

20200731_191156.jpg

20200730_142352.jpg

Edited by UnorganizedMechanic

That a serious boat anchor! 

Move on. Either replace the EA81 or drop an EJ in its place and smile from ear to ear whenever you fire it up ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

There may be a place in my heart for Evaporust if this thing breaks loose after sitting for a week topped up with that black magic juice.  One bank down, one more to go.

20200804_142140.jpg

20200804_142123.jpg

20200804_142118.jpg