Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leftover engine and transmission anyone?

I am (slowly) working on restoring my 1983 Subaru Brat. It must have lived in Nevada or Utah most of it's life because it has very little rust, but mechanically it was in pretty bad shape. I've replaced the carburetor with a Weber, and that fixed up the engine (which amazingly seems to have been recently rebuilt). It came with an automatic (3EAT) transmission and I honestly couldn't tell if there was something wrong with it or else it was supposed to work that way. I mean it was driveable, but I wouldn't exactly say that it operated smoothly. And there was a worrisome jerk and thunk when the electric single range 4WD engaged. So I located a donor car, put a standard 4 speed dual range manual transmission in it, and now it runs and drives pretty good. I'm not a mechanic at all, and one of the reasons I love these cars is that they are simple enough even I can work on them. This forum helped a lot to.

Anyway, the 81 station wagon donor car was pretty destroyed before I got to it other than the drive train, but I did get to salvage some parts. Now I'm wondering what to do with the parts I don't need, especially the engine out of the wagon and the original transmission out of the 83 Brat. Some parts I can sell on Ebay, but I really don't know what to do about the engine and transmission. Supposedly the engine was owned by an actual mechanic, well maintained, and was driven right up until it blew a CV joint, and then they pickled the engine and parked under a tree for 15 years. I would like to get a little money out of them, but eventually I'll have to haul them to the dump or something. Does anybody have any better ideas? I currently have them up on craigslist. If anybody is interested delivering them or at least meeting up part way might be possible.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/d/oklahoma-city-subaru-3eat-automatic/7191256593.html

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/d/oklahoma-city-subaru-ea-81-engine/7191254266.html

image20200905_142957886.jpg

image20200905_142851790.jpg

IMG_20200714.jpg

Edited by nontrivial

I'd take the 3AT, but it's too far away.  Also, I'm mot sure that an 83 is identical to the much "newer" ones I run.  1989 and up.  I paid $50.00 for the last one I bought, and I picked it up, along with an EA82 engine for another $50.  Shipping would be more than that.

OK, I'll keep them for a while but I'm going to get rid of them after a few months. That is the engine, transmission, and a new engine hoist I am definitely going to sell. I can put everything else in the attic, but I want more space in the garage when I start working on the body. Until then if anybody wants to pick them up let me know, I'll let you have them. I'll even drive a bit if you need me to. If you want to pay me for crating them up and shipping, I'll do that too.

FYI for anybody that cares, basically swapped the automatic transmission and all the trimmings for a spare 4SPD dual range in case I need it sometime in the future. I also broke down and built a work bench around the engine sitting on the floor so it wasn't completely wasted space, so it looks like I'm keeping that a while too.

• Like 1