Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone, I've got a 1993 subaru legacy, stock 2.2 with all the gaskets done except for the head gaskets because I didn't have time for that. The engine has approximately 275k on it and I use it in my daily driver/ drift car. I know this has definitely been asked a bunch but I thought maybe people would have different answers because of the type of driving I'm doing with the car. Me and my brother both use Rotella T6 but I've heard from some subaru mechanic friend that it's not that great and that I should switch to pennzoil synthetic. Have people had good luck with this? Or should I keep the Rotella because it's a thicker weight and with me drifting the car and all it might be saving the engine. Once again, sorry if this has been asked a bunch of there's another forum that already has a good answer ease link that so I don't waste anyone's time. Thanks for any of the help you have!

8 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

The T6 is fine. We don't recommend any less than a 40 weight. T6 will do.

GD

Okay perfect thanks, I so have one other question so I guess I'll ask It here. My cars having an issue with starting sometimes, I believe it has something to do with the alternator or the battery. Sometimes it won't even try to start and I'll have to turn the key on and off a couple times before it even attempts to start, I took my battery in for a charge and it got better but it still sort of happens. Anyone have an issue similar to this. Does anyone also know where I can get an oem used alternator for the car? There's a local shop that builds them to custom spec so instead of buying a shitty pepboys one that almost fried a friend's ECU I'd rather of an oem one. I have a napa one in or something and it lasted maybe 2 years if it's the alternator.

www.carpart.com is a good place to check for used parts in your area, or a pull and pay yard if you have one near you.

I know that several of the generations of Subaru's have issues with starting, generally it's diagnosed by removing the small terminal on the starter and checking for voltage between that terminal and ground when the key is turned to START position.

Sometimes its the main battery cable going to the starter, the key switch, or a bad ground.  There is a mod to connect a relay to supply full battery voltage to the start terminal on the starter instead of using the original circuit.

SGFhvaKl.jpg

Edited by Mike104