Ultimate Subaru Message Board

10 hours ago, softroader said:

Thanks Bennie.  Makes me a lot more comfortable with the EJ251.

i currently own/drive a 2002 Forester with the EJ251 engine.. headgaskets were done on it long before I bought the car.. current odometer reading is 261k and counting.

Keep up with good maintenance, and you should be fine.

1 hour ago, ThosL said:

If you have a known quantity, the car is serviceable and runs well, keep it; made the mistake before of getting rid of a Subaru that was mechanically excellent that did not look great.

Im not sure who this is addressed to, but I'll answer.

I upgrade cars once there is significant safety updrades. Eyesite has been around for a while to seem reliable. The CVTs seem debugged. And due t my present situation a power liftgate would be a godsend. However I do agree with you, but also I am shopping (for me) fairly new. Its going to be weird buying a subaru with less then 100K on it :)

• Like 1

Nipper, I wish you all the best in your search for a newer vehicle.. the newest we have here is 2006, so not much help, i am afraid. =)

Only advice I could give you is to try driving an example of each engine type - see which one you like better. Trim levels that go with each engine type may be something to think about as well.. that is assuming the 6 is a higher trim level than the 4 would be, of course.