Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed out the oil and filter today; was being careless about the oil I was using like the Walmart Super Tech 10W 30.  Today used Valvoline non synthetic 5W 30 and Fram regular filter.  Also changed out the air filter for the first time in 4 years and 80K or so miles.  I added a quart of the Lucas high mileage oil treatment product, about $12.  

I've heard two people in the last week admit blowing their engines by not checking their oil levels.  Both were 2015 or so late model cars.  One of the guys at Walmart was talking today to his friend about the advantage of the premium Fram filter, that you don't have to change the oil for 10K or so miles.  I'm seeing too much of this irresponsible talk about not checking your oil.  

What type of oil are you using?  Do other motor oils have an advantage?

Viscosity is not crucial on a 1997: 5W30?, 10W30?, 10W40? Its not going to make much of a difference. If you're burning or leaking oil, go with the thicker grades

Filter: Subaru OEM?, or Fram?, or Wix? etc. IMHO it really won't matter.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT is to change the oil and filter frequently, more frequently than recommended. Keep that oil clean!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ThosL said:

I changed out the oil and filter today; was being careless about the oil I was using like the Walmart Super Tech 10W 30.  Today used Valvoline non synthetic 5W 30 and Fram regular filter.  Also changed out the air filter for the first time in 4 years and 80K or so miles.  I added a quart of the Lucas high mileage oil treatment product, about $12.  

I've heard two people in the last week admit blowing their engines by not checking their oil levels.  Both were 2015 or so late model cars.  One of the guys at Walmart was talking today to his friend about the advantage of the premium Fram filter, that you don't have to change the oil for 10K or so miles.  I'm seeing too much of this irresponsible talk about not checking your oil.  

What type of oil are you using?  Do other motor oils have an advantage?

None of that matters.  Change and check the oil and filter often and nothing else matters.  Synthetic and OEM filters are best, but neither matter if you don't let the oil get low, don't overheat the vehicle, and change the oil on time. 

10w30 is fine. Viscosity isn't important.

Newer cars have lower friction rings and 0W oil and easily consume oil leading to low oil situations.  

We also know nothing about their vehicles, history, or statements.  People say stuff about cars all that time that isn't the definition of "scientific", is anecdotal, way too many assumptions are made, inaccurate, etc.  A wal-mart conversation isn't really worth any time. 

Oil filter - not a big deal.  Some synthetic oils are good for well beyond 10,000 miles and when paired with a good filter.   25,000 mile oil and filter change via Amsoil: 
https://www.amsoilcontent.com/lit/g1490.pdf

There are also people who change their oil filters every other oil change.  There are times and conditions in which these practices, and others that need not be mentioned here, have merit and will not illicit any issues.  You shouldn't do it, but not every situation is identical to yours. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, forester2002s said:

Viscosity is not crucial on a 1997: 5W30?, 10W30?, 10W40? Its not going to make much of a difference. If you're burning or leaking oil, go with the thicker grades

Filter: Subaru OEM?, or Fram?, or Wix? etc. IMHO it really won't matter.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT is to change the oil and filter frequently, more frequently than recommended. Keep that oil clean!

Fram bad, otherwise I agree. I changed mine every 5K as it was easier to remember.

Real dino oil is fine. I usually did 10w40