Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its probably on here somewhere but I have a base 01 Outback and the rear struts are shot and a friend has an 05 with a blown engine and I need to know before pulling anything apart if the struts from his 05 will work on my 01,they look the same in the car, and I have pulled pics from the internet and they look the same side by side in pics.. The top hats are 2 studs the bottom is an eye bolt all look the same but the 05 looks a little taller, can anyone tell me if they will bolt in even if I have to change the top hats? 

They’re interchangeable.  It’s pretty common to use 00-04 struts in 05-09s because the 05-09 struts suck.  They’re so bad I wouldn’t waste my time swapping in used 05-09s. The couple times I’ve done it Ive regretted it because they’re so short lived.

im unsure if the top mounts are interchangeable but the struts are. I think the top mounts are but I’m uncertain. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

If i.knew for sure the 05 and up will work I would go with new since I have seen side by side pics and the 05 struts appear to be a couple inches taller but I have to order them and not work, I guess I will just go with new OEM struts with spacers but I appreciate it

When you pull the rears and install them you have to jack them slightly to remove the pressure on the bolt as they come out and to get it aligned to start the bottom bolt.

In the yard, I'd just take a couple sections of 2x4 that I could lever into place and most yards don't let  you take jacks in.

6 hours ago, Sherman said:

If i.knew for sure the 05 and up will work I would go with new since I have seen side by side pics and the 05 struts appear to be a couple inches taller but I have to order them and not work, I guess I will just go with new OEM struts with spacers but I appreciate it

I’m not sure what youre asking - you ask if they swap but mention multiple times “taller”, what does “taller” mean to you?

The struts don’t change the car height, so I’m not sure where you’re seeing they’re taller or why it matters - once installed there is no appreciable difference.  Most people swap struts and keep the original springs.  Use 00-04 springs on 00-04 outbacks and 05-09 springs on 05-09 outbacks. Use 00-04 struts on 00-09 outbacks.  

if you want to worry about “height” then the discussion is about springs - most people install turbo baja springs in 00-09 outback at get a stiffer rear and extra 1”+ bump for loads/towing.  Anyway height is about springs, not struts....you’re asking about struts but talking about height

I already said all this but 00-04 and 05-09 Outback struts are interchangeable. It’s very well known across Subaru world - as I already said people install 00-04 all the time in 05-09s, it’s almost a standard “upgrade” in DIY Subaru circles.

If you do go OEM, the OEM 00-04 struts are good struts. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

Sorry and yes my goal is a stiffer ride and 1" or more height gain,I know the strut itself does nothing for height or lift its the spring and or spring rate the "taller " means the complete strut ,(strut ,spring and tophat)side by side are almost 2 inches taller out of an 05 OB vs the ones in my 01 OB is why I was asking about them.. I know taller isn't always gonna raise the car due to spring rate as it can be 3 inches taller but if the spring is softer and gives more with weight you have gained nothing.. Nevertheless my 01 OB needs new struts and I was just curious if anyone had put 05 or newer sruts on an 01 but obviously not since I did not know the 05 and up are known to be weaker than those in the 01

Edited by Sherman

Okay.  I see.  You were thinking 05s might bump it up a little, which you wanted. You didn’t say that specifically at first so I think we were confused.

05+ work they just don’t last very long and are not any better performers either. I don’t use them because of that so I guess I can’t say what would happen height wise.  

Edited by idosubaru