Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burning up alternator belts

I can't seem to keep a alternator belt for more than 5-10k miles. They burn up and drop down into the v so much they slip. It's a factory AC car and I replaced  the AC belt when I got it over 40k ago. AC belt looks mint.

I can't see any wobble or damage to the alternator pulley and it looks aligned. Is it possible I'm over tightening the alternator?

This is odd.   I've been running EA82s since 1988, never seen this.  I run NAPA fleet belts.  Don't even remember the last time I had to buy them, they are still good, moved from car - car.  Tighten the Alternator belt just tight enough so the alternator sheave doesn't slip when you try to turn it by hand.  Not through the compression stroke, just in the slack time [angles] between.  I found that it's good to re check the belt tensions after a short run if you have dual belts. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 4:44 PM, Dee2 said:

A burned belt will slip. 

A new belt should be fitting down into the V.  Sounds like you may be buying the wrong size of belt width.

The AC belt fits like a champ, and I'm running the belts the manual calls for. I think it's a bag alternator pulley. The rest of the pulleys fit it fine. A V belt should right on the sides not the bottom. If they ride on the bottom it wears the sides off, which will eventually cause it to slip.

What you mentioned about it being spread open...

make sense... why it was wearing out.......

it was eating the internal diameter up..... thus falling in.ward.....

the belt's tension was not on it's side  but on it's bottom.......(more like a car tire)

pulley should remediate your prob    I would think...

Any thoughts on how it became spread open?  Just curious....

Micky