Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’m changing out the transmission on my 1990 Legacy L AWD station wagon. The # on my transmission is 3V-TY752VA1AA

The # on the one I got from a wrecking yard ( supposedly from a 1992 Legacy) is  the same except at the end of the id# it is AA2A instead of AA1A,. 
does anyone know if these two transmissions are interchangeable?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jimmyberka
Would like to be informed of replys

I believe they are interchangeable, just a difference in when the actual transmission was produced in the factory but overall the same transmission. I have been a mechanic for 20 something years now and done quite a few rebuilds. If you haven't sourced your trans yet read this article first, might want to consider buying a remanufactured one instead https://transmissioninfo.wixsite.com/transmissioninfo

4 hours ago, subieman23 said:

I believe they are interchangeable, just a difference in when the actual transmission was produced in the factory but overall the same transmission. I have been a mechanic for 20 something years now and done quite a few rebuilds. If you haven't sourced your trans yet read this article first, might want to consider buying a remanufactured one instead https://transmissioninfo.wixsite.com/transmissioninfo

LOL, yeah.. ok.. just one problem.. finding a reman tranny for a 90 legacy is pretty much a nonstarter.

We are talking about a car that is 30 yrs old, was not that popular to start with and there is pretty much no aftermarket support for these cars - wasn't any when they were new, darn sure isn't any now.

So, unless that website actually belongs to you, I suggest you pull the link before you get tagged for spam.

To the OP - yes, that tranny 'should' work.. verify the final drive ratio is the same, tho. If it is not, you will want the rear end from the same car as well

It is primarily the first 6-7 digits of the tranny number that are the most important on Subarus

Edited by heartless

'90-'94 EJ22e (NA/non-turbo) 5-speed manual,  Final drive ratio (FDR): 4.11

And the '97-'99 EJ25D models had the same FDR and may be stronger? But if they're from an OB or Forester they'll have different gear ratios and your speedo will be off.