Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy wagon -- name that part...?

Hi Subafans!

So a while back, someone decided to play bumper cars with my beloved 1995 Legacy. Crunched in the rear bumper and tailgate big-time. A friend and I finally had time for a weekend bodywork jam including swapping a bumper and tailgate from my parts car, and we got it back into almost perfect shape. But... there is a leftover mystery part. I am positive I didn't remove it. I sent a pic to my friend and he said he vaguely remembers it just kind of fell out someplace, but doesn't remember where. Anyone know what this is? Thanks!

63554838389__B14D2D22-E395-45B7-99D6-C19946008283.JPG

Edited by bendecker

On 2/26/2021 at 5:29 PM, idosubaru said:

Did you look for a part number on it?  Quite a few plastic parts have the part number molded right into the part. Then google it. 

It's metal. No part number.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:35 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I suppose the UP arrow could be just for factory installation? Otherwise, I thought it was for star adjuster direction for brake adjustment. But seems too large and why the whole plate???

light socket access???

what does the back look like? just flat?

The bottom is a bit greasy,  the top has a bit of rubber on it. It looks 100 symmetrical to me. Lock washer marks on the bottom.

IMG_4729.JPG.9eafc267fbbc08afaee285e4a8037bed.JPG

On 2/26/2021 at 2:59 PM, 3Pin said:

It should be under the bumper cover and is maybe associated with the charcoal canister.  Between the rear wheel well and the bumper.  There might be one on each side.  

The covers under the bumper are different:

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

Edited by bendecker

14 hours ago, lmdew said:

Head to the Junk yard - selfserve and poke around.  

I have my own junker - a 1996 legacy that I played bumper cars with a few years back. Ooops.... (loved that car :-(  )  I'm pretty sure this is not from the rear end now, that it was just a random part in some  crevas as we pulled everything apart. Still curious as to what it is, though.

Edited by bendecker