Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tactrix and Romraider to disable codes on 2005+ non turbo Subaru ECU's?

2005+ non-turbo's - what cable and software do I need to do some basic editing of the ECU tune - like adjusting/removing check engine codes?

I think I look into Tactrix and Romraider....what am I missing?

A few listings show Tactrix cables compatible with 05-09 Subaru's - is that just old listings that don't include newer uses, or those cables dont' work on newer Subarus?

Other forums are flooded so searching is leading to many rabbit trails...anyone know the basics?

Edited by idosubaru

While I have used RR and ECU Flash with a Tactrix cable and laptop, it was not 'easy'. Not hard, just kinda anxious.  As for the range of models my cable works with, after you get it, you could email Tactrix or maybe the RR group to figure out what it will/won't work with. After downloading the software, you have to do an update for the 'definitions' for each car model/year.  I used it to kill 14 codes on my WRX. DO NOT try to use ECU Flash from any laptop that is not fully charged! Also, I recommend getting a cheap flash drive for any car you mod, throw the original rom data  and the new data in files on it to pass along to the owner. You might consider putting those files on a cloud server somewhere too, associate it to the VIN? - just in case you need to revert to original.

I see no reason I couldn't mail the cable to you to play around with. JUst keep it on 'permanent loan'. It's unlikely , but, you could just mail it back if I ever needed it. PM me a mailing addy and I will work on getting it to you - could be a week or 2 as we are very busy catching-up on things since my MIL moved out.

as you know, over at subaruoutback.org, PlainOM and others have a thread. You could PM those guys for info too.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

While I have used RR and ECU Flash with a Tactrix cable and laptop, it was not 'easy'. Not hard, just kinda anxious.  As for the range of models my cable works with, after you get it, you could email Tactrix or maybe the RR group to figure out what it will/won't work with. After downloading the software, you have to do an update for the 'definitions' for each car model/year.  I used it to kill 14 codes on my WRX. DO NOT try to use ECU Flash from any laptop that is not fully charged! Also, I recommend getting a cheap flash drive for any car you mod, throw the original rom data  and the new data in files on it to pass along to the owner. You might consider putting those files on a cloud server somewhere too, associate it to the VIN? - just in case you need to revert to original.

I see no reason I couldn't mail the cable to you to play around with. JUst keep it on 'permanent loan'. It's unlikely , but, you could just mail it back if I ever needed it. PM me a mailing addy and I will work on getting it to you - could be a week or 2 as we are very busy catching-up on things since my MIL moved out.

as you know, over at subaruoutback.org, PlainOM and others have a thread. You could PM those guys for info too.

Awesome LT - that is very generous of you.  PM sent.  

Thanks for the tips.  It appears all/most of the common tactrix cables work on 05-09 nonturbo stuff which will be what i'm doing to start. 

You used Rom Raider to kill codes?  

So I'll need to find the update/definitions for specific vehicles via searching/boards or are they commonly available?

HAHHA - fourteen codes - that's amazing!

I think it's called ECUFlash to actually overwrite the Rom so, may need both. It's been maybe 10-11 years???? Everything I learned came from a thread about air cut valves at NASIOC.

Briefly, the valves kick in xtra air to 'light-off' the cat conv. quickly (for emission reasons only) for maybe less than a minute (IIRC) on a cold start. My valves corroded/stuck shut (thankfully,.... I think a few people had them stuck open) and I had several codes. Repair at the time was maybe $700 with no indication Subaru had upgraded the valves - so, it could happen again in 4  more years. Buying the cable and learning how to do the procedure basically saved me $500 immediately, maybe more in the long run.

I know the cable got packed and it at this house, 90% cjhance in 1 or 2 spots. I promise I will work on this. Probably come in a padded pouch or small box.

OK, found the cable, will box and ship sometime soon-ish.

the thread I learned/participated in is; https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209260&page=3

Post 104 is the one I got my codes from, there was another, but I can't seem to find it, it had a decent set of instructions. It would have been around the same time frame, 2009-20011 I think.

please keep in mind I may not be able to answer any questions.RomRaider is pretty cool, I think FreeSSM may be even better, those guys at subaruoutback could help you with all this I think. The ability to select parameters to record and then drive the car and look at the data is awesome.

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

OK, found the cable, will box and ship sometime soon-ish.

the thread I learned/participated in is; https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209260&page=3

Post 104 is the one I got my codes from, there was another, but I can't seem to find it, it had a decent set of instructions. It would have been around the same time frame, 2009-20011 I think.

please keep in mind I may not be able to answer any questions.RomRaider is pretty cool, I think FreeSSM may be even better, those guys at subaruoutback could help you with all this I think. The ability to select parameters to record and then drive the car and look at the data is awesome.

Wow. That’s perfect. I can learn and figure stuff out, that’s a great starting point and I’ll pick up some better search words from it too. I’m in no rush and not trouble shooting. Take your time. I get it. 

9 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

OH, I'm sending 2 sheets I printed from that thread and one of them is the instructions I used. Doing some more reading/familiarization would be a good idea though.

start a thread and report what you find/work on. Could be interesting to others.

Awesome. I don’t expect it to be easy. Will familiarize myself with it before I give it a go.

2 hours ago, brus brother said:

Props to 1 LT for establishing a tool rental department here on USMB!

Wish I had been aware over the past 8 years dealing with the never ending P0420.

BTW is your avatar Gort?

Agreed. Except when you mail someone stuff and they never return it. I’d only do it for long term active members now unfortunately.

That code is precisely what I want this for. I should have done this 10 years ago. 

should fine for, what?, pre 2005 or so?, pretty sure some post 05 cars actually use rear O2 sensor data to adjust a:f, I THINK I have read that some earlier H6es do as well?

but yeah, on my WRX, I just had 2 actual DTCs I think. But pulling the rlay and actually disabling the air cut valves would have set a dozen more. That will of course mask any new code set so, kinda annoying unless you regularly check for new codes with a reader. The system is still in place. I figure it will someday get removed and block-off plates installed, maybe at clutch replacement time.....

To be clear, Ido is in a position to make much better use of the cable and it has more than served it's purpose for me. If I get 10-15 bucks for the shipping, that's fine I guess, but really, he does so much for others, I hope it will be put to good use instead of collecting dust around here.

Technically the Tactrix can work all the way back to 99, but you need the definition files for the vehicle at hand in order to edit the ROM and those are not always available. Usually on 05+ cars you can find the file definition online somewhere. But the older the car the less likely you are to find one. 

ALSO - be VERY cautious with non turbo cars - the definition files aren't always as fully developed as they are for the WRX's, etc. It's literally someone's "best guess" with a hex editor as to what any given address in the ROM relates to. I've seen everything from the modifications doing nothing at all (seemingly) to making a single change to a check box for a code or for force readiness and having the car not even start and having to flash back to the old file. Knock on wood I've never bricked an ECU but I've come DAMN close to it. You can REALLY wreck your whole day with these tools. 

GD

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

should fine for, what?, pre 2005 or so?, pretty sure some post 05 cars actually use rear O2 sensor data to adjust a:f, I THINK I have read that some earlier H6es do as well?

05+. 04 and earlier the extender works for the 0420.

Thanks. There has been a lot of debate about that which I looked into it before asking. The 0420 can be turned off separately without impacting the rest of the rear O2 functionality. It’s like a separate routine or “in parallel” rather than “in series” as a visual aid. At least that’s where I landed on reviewing what’s known. 

Edited by idosubaru

7 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Technically the Tactrix can work all the way back to 99, but you need the definition files for the vehicle at hand in order to edit the ROM and those are not always available. Usually on 05+ cars you can find the file definition online somewhere. But the older the car the less likely you are to find one. 

ALSO - be VERY cautious with non turbo cars 

Am I doomed eliminating P0420 on a Tribeca?! Ha!  I’ll be doing only 05+.

Can I copy and revert to the original ROM if I run into issues?

Call Tactrix. I found them forthcoming. BUT as advised, be sure to make a backup of your stock rom.

F'd around with an android phone once without making a backup rom and when it went south, discovered there weren't any stock roms on the net to source to back out.

As far as the P0420, I just got used to looking at the CEL until I traded my 05 in last month. Easy enough to clear the code and establish system readiness to pass emissions inspections over a period of 7 years. 

Edited by brus brother

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Am I doomed eliminating P0420 on a Tribeca?! Ha!  I’ll be doing only 05+.

Can I copy and revert to the original ROM if I run into issues?

Yes you can revert back to stock if you "mess up" assuming you don't mess up by bricking the ECU such as interrupting the flash process, etc. 

There is more to it than *just* eliminating the P0420 code. First of all you CANNOT remove the rear O2 sensor - just get that out of your head completely if you figured on it. The ECU will not go ready and there's no way to make it do so if the rear O2 is bad or missing. 

Second - there is a table for post-cat fuel trim that you need to zero out - if you don't - some years of cars allow the post-cat trim to add or subtract as much as 50% to the primary fueling - a bad sensor can therefore still make the car essentially undrivable under the right conditions. We really don't understand this design choice since the combined long and short term primary wideband fuel trims aren't even this high. It's weird to say the least but such is life when you start messing with factory calibrations - at least it's not a Ford with Torque Modeling and 40 or 50 fueling tables. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

There is more to it than *just* eliminating the P0420 code. First of all you CANNOT remove the rear O2 sensor 

Second - there is a table for post-cat fuel trim that you need to zero out - if you don't - 

Okay, Got it. Gathered that from other forums though they were vague. If not probable, it seems possible to do this.

Woah nuts - 50% fueling swings must surprise folks and take them awhile to figure out first time they see it. 

I’ve programmed some and work in binary and hex so while I suck at coding I’m familiar with it enough to be careful and dangerous. Lol