Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 EJ22 into 1999 Forester EJ25 SOHC

danielzink

Hey All,

Title kind of says it all.

I have a 99 Forester with the SOHC 2.5 (with *another* popped HG)....

I "happen" to have a 90,000 mile 1990 EJ22 sitting in my garage.

I've done a bit of searching and I've seen mention that it's do-able...but yeah - I'd like to maybe drop the EJ22 into the 99 and make it run again.

What all is involved ?

Anyone have a quick and dirty run-through ?

Thanks, Dan

wiring is totally different between the two... at the very least, you will need to swap intake w/harness (possible fitment issues?) and probably sensors - cam, crank - possibly more

it is not just a drop it in and go kind of deal. I will have to leave it for others with more experience than i to clarify details

you could have left this in the other section - both are considered "new gen", lol, but yeah, here is good too.

• Like 1

do the headgaskets.  pulling the engine is the biggest part of the job which has to be done either way (well technically HGs can be done in the engine bay).  It’s a lot of effort to save nothing and face a bunch of work arounds.

The easy way would be to bolt the EJ25 heads to the EJ22 so you can keep the EJ25 intake and wiring all the same.  Easy peasy.  I think that’s possible and I’ve done it but it’s been years ago - I think I used a thick “custom” gasket from like cosmetic or something.  I believe you end up with very low compression. But they’re drivable. 

But here’s your original question - to use the EJ22 complete and avoid head work which appears to be your goal....
You’d have to install the 99 intake manifold wiring harness onto the 1990 intake manifold and then work around every issue you encounter.  

On 95-98 EJ22s it’s possible to install them in. 1999 For but it results in check engine lights and won’t idle right.  people prop the throttle open as a ghetto work around for the idle. It drove one former member mad and he ended up getting another EJ25 in the end  

Since 1990s EJ22 long blocks are very similar to 95-98 EJ22s - nearly identical and mostly swappable with some effort - it should be possible. I’ve done tons of 95+ stuff but havent worked on many 90-94 EJs. 

Your 99 exhaust manifold will at least bolt up to the 1990 unlike 96-98 EJ22s. So that part is taken care of. 

^what he said.

The '99 SOHC is phase 2, the '90 is phase 1. A lot of little differences between the 2. Different intake manifold bolt pattern, so you have to graft the new wiring onto the old manifold. The '99 likely has a MAP sensor in the intake, so this will have to be retrofitted. You'll probably have to use the '99 throttle body.

etc. etc. etc.

Doable? Yes

Logical? Not really. More work than just replacing head gaskets, or installing a low mileage jdm engine.

• Like 1