Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed out the oil and filter today; was being careless about the oil I was using like the Walmart Super Tech 10W 30.  Today used Valvoline non synthetic 5W 30 and Fram regular filter.  Also changed out the air filter for the first time in 4 years and 80K or so miles https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps.  I added a quart of the Lucas high mileage oil treatment product, about $12.  

I've heard two people in the last week admit blowing their engines by not checking their oil levels.  Both were 2015 or so late model cars.  One of the guys at Walmart was talking today to his friend about the advantage of the premium Fram filter, that you don't have to change the oil for 10K or so miles.  I'm seeing too much of this irresponsible talk about not checking your oil.  

What type of oil are you using?  Do other motor oils have an advantage?

Edited by Bushiobrao

Synthetic. Period. Generally at least a 40 if you drive a Subaru hard. Anything over 400 WHP run a 50 (5w50 Amsoil signature for example, or 15w50 Dominator for race only). 

Don't use snake oil additives. If the oil needed it and it's quality oil then it would already be in there. 

WIX filters or Tokyo Roki if available to you. 

GD 

Edited by GeneralDisorder

On 7/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, Bushiobrao said:

I changed out the oil and filter today; was being careless about the oil I was using like the Walmart Super Tech 10W 30.  Today used Valvoline non synthetic 5W 30 and Fram regular filter.  Also changed out the air filter for the first time in 4 years and 80K or so miles https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps.  I added a quart of the Lucas high mileage oil treatment product, about $12.  

I've heard two people in the last week admit blowing their engines by not checking their oil levels.  Both were 2015 or so late model cars.  One of the guys at Walmart was talking today to his friend about the advantage of the premium Fram filter, that you don't have to change the oil for 10K or so miles.  I'm seeing too much of this irresponsible talk about not checking your oil.  

What type of oil are you using?  Do other motor oils have an advantage?

Use synthetic, brand doesn't matter.  Any off the shelf filters are all going to be relatively similar and serviceable, Fram premiums aren't anything spectacular.  WIX filters.

The super tech or valvoline will be fine if you have light duty driving, don't drive aggressive, aren't towing excesive loads, don't ever let the car overheat or run low on oil, change it frequently, etc.  So for one time it's fine to leave it in their for a short interval. But go back to synthetic immediately.