Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Priming inverted oil filter 2019 OB

NOPE ..... I have 160K on MY14 Impreza .... same setup on 2.0L ... never had a problem. Others say they hold the gas to the floor on first start to allow engine to crank without starting to prime the filter, but being a retired mechanic, we never did that and I have never seen a problem.

With a Fumoto valve, oil changes on the FB engines are about 10 minutes ,,,,, slide pan under and open valve ... while oil drains, replace the filter ..... close, wipe valve and remove pan .... fill with oil .... 

Takes me longer to put the old oil into container and drive to local auto store for disposal .... 

Good luck with the 19OB 

• Like 2

Found out that certain models and years (my 2019 OB being one) came with a 14 mm drain plug that is made of soft metal that can easily be rounded over.

Warned to proceed with caution and best to use a 6 point socket and not find an SAE "equivalent".

Some dealers have learned to replace them at the first oil change but apparently not mine? The car is with daughter in Maine and I'm heading there next week with both 14 and 17 mm 6 point sockets in hand.

Hold my ankles, I'm going in!

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK drove from CT to Maine to see daughter and had everything ready to change oil and filter on the 19 OB.

Due to the additional underbody cladding, the oil drain plug is tucked WAY up inside a 5x5 opening and makes a friggin' mess as it spurts out. Seriously considering a Fumoto valve as it is protected in the recess and a hose can be attached to direct the oil.

I can confirm that it is a 14mm bolt and can ALSO confirm that it uses a smaller crush washer than the ones I've used for years on Subie oil and tranny plugs and that if you use the older larger washers, oil WILL leak.

Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

I started to make it a habit to pre-fill the oil filter during oil changes.  I'm reconsidering that habit, as I was told by the good folks at KillerB Motorsports that this can actually delay the priming of the system.

I hadn't noticed an issue, but when people smarter than me say something like that, I tend to pay attention.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:53 AM, Ferret54 said:

NOPE ..... I have 160K on MY14 Impreza .... same setup on 2.0L ... never had a problem. Others say they hold the gas to the floor on first start to allow engine to crank without starting to prime the filter, but being a retired mechanic, we never did that and I have never seen a problem.

With a Fumoto valve, oil changes on the FB engines are about 10 minutes ,,,,, slide pan under and open valve ... while oil drains, replace the filter ..... close, wipe valve and remove pan .... fill with oil .... 

Takes me longer to put the old oil into container and drive to local auto store for disposal .... 

Good luck with the 19OB 

Do yourself a favor, just put a hose on the Fumoto and drain the oil in to empty gallon jugs like from windshield washer fluid or something.  No mess, nothing to transfer later.  Just have to clean off the hose used.