Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I put a 2.2 non egr motor with a manual tranny into a 2001 outback with a manual tranny? Will it run? I am looking to make a beat around car to run to town and back and cruise around the hills and keep the miles off my good car. I don`t care if a the check engine light stays on but don`t want to attempt it and reall screw something up!  Thank you for your advise.

As long as you find a 2.2 from a 99 to 01 it is a direct swap. These 2nd gen 2.2's have issues with oil consumption and aren't at all close to the 98 and older 2.2's but that's not what you asked. 

Older 2.2's will be challenging to install. Possible, but you need advanced knowledge to circumvent the intake manifold fitment, idle control, and potential crank/cam sprocket differences that are expected by the 2.5 computer. Easier to just install a replacement 2.5 and get the benefits of increased power and torque. 

GD

if it is a sohc version, should be EJ251, and those are fairly plentiful if you look and reasonably robust if taken care of.

Have a 2002 my in a Forester with nearly 270k on it, still runs great (hgs done at about 85k, give or take), but the car has other issues, so is being retired..

Once the factory HG is swapped out for a genuine MLS HG the EJ251 is a great (generally) trouble free engine. 

My sister’s Gen3 RX Liberty (Legacy) has 470,000km and still counting. Only major issue is the IACV needs to be replaced but we can’t justify the $300+ cost of the unit here. 

The EJ251 with the manual in the wagon is a mint combination I reckon. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

no problem Bennie. :D

and to be very honest, i did it as much for myself as for anyone else, lol

trying to get my brain to think in metric terms a bit more... I have several 3d printers, so working in the smaller sizes is becoming old hat, but those longer ones.. yeah..  hard for me to go from millimeters to kilometers yet, or even meters, lol. :P

• Like 1