Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car runs and stalls out ,

11 hours ago, Ned P Pritchard said:

86,,GL carbed  stalls out ,fueling problems  ,fuel pump  or clogged up fuel tank  stalls out, oh yeah it's a 4/4 wheel wagon any  easier way  to  clean out fuel tank,  than  removing ,looks  like a pain in the rear  PLEASE HELP ,

what story is the fuel filter telling you?

• 3 weeks later...

Remove tank cap, blow compressed air from pump line (but not through pump) back to tank, clean out what you can via the fuel gauge sender unit hole. 

Can do same for fuel line from engine bay back to the pump, but again, not through the pump or the filters. This should give you a clear line to work with, or show up where the blockage might be located. 

Cheers 

Bennie

The other thing to check is that the fuel cutout relay is working properly. It could be priming with ignition on but cutting the pump while the engine runs because it’s not getting the signal to say the engine is running - or the relay box thing is dead. Common on the Brat era vehicles, don’t think it’s common on the L series. 

Cheers 

Bennie

hmmm, what Bennie says above. I started the metal pipe only blow backwards process at the front and worked my way to the empty tank. I used an old fire extinguisher to transport the compressed air from petrol station to home. It was only on the final section from fuel pump to tank that I heard, then found the rusty crud that was lining the inside of the metal line. EA81 tanks are easier to see this as their sender unit are mounted on the back side. I had it out to see a pristine clean , empty tank, until the blow back landed. I dragged it out by wire and rag tool. EA82 won't be as easy.