Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help needed: maintenance for a 95 impreza

And here’s a curve ball on the EJ22 - no single ports in Australia, and most likely any other world markets. From what I can gather the single port EJ22 is a US market only item.

I believe the single port exhaust head is employed to heat the cat converter quicker to meet some emissions target. 

Cheers 

Bennie

17 hours ago, laegion said:

I am a member on the outback forum; and I've scoured nasoic and legacygt.com, etc. Most info is just people's wrong impressions. It's also why this is the only site I actually participate in; because the members seem to be more technical than the average. 

Ah nasioc is great and also like trying to get good advice from a bar on Friday night at 11pm. It is tough because it’s great, there’s some very experienced and wise Subaru people there but good grief it is rampant with bad anecdotal suggestions and feedback.  Too many members for the  fewer more knowledgeable folks to counter, correct, or reply to all of it.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

And here’s a curve ball on the EJ22 - no single ports in Australia, and most likely any other world markets. From what I can gather the single port EJ22 is a US market only item.

I believe the single port exhaust head is employed to heat the cat converter quicker to meet some emissions target. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Well that’s wild!  Had no idea!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, laegion said:

Sorry, yes, I meant from HLAs. The original EJ22 in my '95 Legacy L had them but if I remember correctly, when I swapped in a '94 EJ22 (of course I'm basing the year on what the seller told me), it had HLAs as well, but it didn't have EGR and a slightly different design to intake. The heads are a little different as they don't have the bung for the EGR on the driver's side cylinder head, and even though there is a boss there that seems it would be for the EGR bung...it definitely is not. It goes into a water jacket...and don't ask how I know. lol (which was fun when it came time to hook up the EGR).

This is why I have such a hard time finding useful and accurate info about "older" subarus, I am a member on the outback forum; and I've scoured nasoic and legacygt.com, etc. Most info is just people's wrong impressions. It's also why this is the only site I actually participate in; because the members seem to be more technical than the average. However even cars101 and wikipedia seem to have little info on the ej22. It's far easier to find info on the turbo motors or the ej25 in my experience.

I've only owned two EJ22's so far, and now an EZ30, so I'm no expert; but I did do a lot of research on them about 6 years ago when I was looking for a motor to swap into my '95; but like you said, there is a lot of wrong info out there, or just slightly inaccurate info, like transitions or revisions that are a year off or so. I see it here too; but not as much. That's why I usually won't comment unless I'm reasonably sure I know what I'm talking about. Obviously, this time my info wasn't quite accurate.

I can relate. I'm no expert,  only know from what little experience I  have and what I've researched. It's unfortunate that there is so much contradictory info out there about these awesome engines. I'm here to learn and help anyone that might need info I have. I think everyone here just what's to learn more about Subarus. We are subaru enthusiasts after all. Thank you, to everyone who has given useful information to me and the subaru community here. 

Rock on subi lovers,

• Like 1