Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Electrical Issue

So was driving the wagon the other day and lost my brake lights/dome lights, and the Brake Light, Brake Fluid and Charge warning lights came on dimly.

The 15A fuse for brake/dome was blown. Replaced it, dome light worked, but blew as soon as I hit the brake pedal. Pulled all the bulbs, still blew. I unplugged the harness in the passenger rear that goes into the roof. Now I have working passenger and third/hatch brake lights with no fuse blow.

Left with the 3 dim warning lights. Unplugged the 2 pin harness from the alternator, and the Brake/Brake Fluid lights went out and the Charge light was bright. Plugged it back in and all 3 are off.

I'm out of 15A fuses so I haven't tried plugging in the brake harness to see if the other light will work without blowing fuse. Will get out the meter and test everything.

Could the two be related? Is it possible the alternator harness was loose, and somehow power was back feeding from the brake light circuit? Or more likely I have a harness going bad somewhere?

When I have had multiple dim warning lights,  it has been caused by one of the brushes in the alternator being worn out.   The fuse blowing could be a different problem. 

The alternator output goes to the battery via one of the fusible links,  it might be worth checking the connections in that path..