Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All:

My 2003 OB 2.5 had a catastrophic failure earlier today and I believe the motor is toast. Lost power on the freeway and limped off to the side of the road.  Did not have any engine noise initially, but heard some clacking after re-starting it after it had cooled off.  No lights came on nor any smoke - just a quick death over the course of a couple of miles. It'll crank and run briefly, but shuts down pretty quickly. Haven't diagnosed it fully, but suspect a timing belt failure.

I do have a 99 2.2 pulled from a Legacy AT which was known to be good at the time it was pulled. There was always a lot of inconsistent info about swapping the 99's into post 99 2.5 Legacy/Outbacks, and my question is about doing this specifically for an 03 Outback AT.

Is this truly a straight plug and play swap with no mods necessary? 

Appreciate any thoughts...John

Diagnose. Plenty of people post here “I think….but haven’t checked yet”….and end up being wrong.

Yes plug and play if you get a single port EJ22 exhaust. It will bolt right up to your outback vehicle fine. 

Install a new Subaru or AISIn timing kit.  I’d also install new cam crank seals and reseal the oil pump. The OEM are very robust and probably fine but at 20+ years old….

At most you swap the drivers side cam and crank sprockets (EJ25 crank and cam sprocket installed onto the EJ22).  It’s not any extra work since the engine should get a new OEM or AISIn timing kit anyway. 

That cam distinction is usually an MT and AT difference so since both are AT engines it shouldn’t matter. But sometimes we can’t ensure the donor and mines heritage so it’s good to keep in mind.  But either way it’s two 17mm so it’s not really any extra work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys...finally got the verdict from my trusted mechanic and the 2.5 is officially damaged beyond repair

So the 99 2.2 is my first option. I have been thinking about GD said about the bad ring design and that's a concern even though the 2.2 had about 150K when pulled. My prior experiences driving a 99 2.2 bear out the possibility of low end failure, but this was in a 99 Impreza that had been run hard before I bought it.The one I'm looking to install in the OB came out of a Legacy that did not seem abused and I did hear it run smoothly before pulling it.

The 99 2.2's had a reputation back in the day for better head gaskets than the crappy 2.5's but I don't know if that opinion still holds in 2022.

The other concern I have is whether the 2.2 will have enough power in a heavier vehicle like the 2003 Outback.

I would appreciate any thoughts about going the 99 2.2 route (vs taking a chance on another 2.5) ... John

2 hours ago, thealleyboy said:

The 99 2.2's had a reputation back in the day for better head gaskets than the crappy 2.5's but I don't know if that opinion still holds in 2022.

The other concern I have is whether the 2.2 will have enough power in a heavier vehicle like the 2003 Outback.

90-98 EJ22s are beasts.
99-2001 EJ22s are not. I wouldnt totally avoid a 99 EJ22, but it’s not worth any premium or additional effort either.

If it’s a commuter car in flat land just push the go pedal harder and you’ll barley notice. 

Power is personal preference. If you’re running over sized wheels/tires, a lift, 300 pounds of gear, a couple passengers, driving steep inclines at interstate speeds, you will get annoyed climbing mountains at interstate speed in 3rd gear.  As an average Subaru commuter shifted slightly on the slower end of average, it’ll be fine.

Ok that helps..my 03 OB is a driver and most recently a winter car with snows but nothing else .. just looking for reliability for this car

just out of curiosity, would the 99 2.2 block be a candidate for a modest buildup with 2002-03 era 2.5 heads? I pulled those from a couple of 2.5's I scrapped from cars with bottom end failures.. They never overheated that I am aware of but haven't had them checked out

There is no significant difference between phase II 2.2 and 2.5 heads. They are virtually identical except the 2.2 head uses difficult to source single port exhaust gaskets that will probably go NLA at Subaru any time now. 

My preference is for the 2.5. Honestly have no use for that second gen 2.2. It's the answer to a question no one asked. The head gaskets are no better than the 2.5 and there isn't a good upgrade path for them other than special order Cometic gaskets like there is with the 2.5 and the factory turbo gaskets. 

GD