Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru baja budget franken STIi sohc swap

I just found out that my 2006 subaru baja 2.5 n/a with a 5 spd needs a new short block.  I want to make it fast, I have many questions.  Among them,what advice to you all have to give me, only looking for 300 whp at the moment, could i use the baja 5spd and a 2015 STI block?  Also would there be any issues putting the 2006 SOHC heads on the 2015 STI then boosting it.  Will all the the accessories bolt right on the STI block what do i need to replace for this?  Could not find much online except for HOMEBREW subaru but was not sure what year STI block he had.   FYI the STI short block my friend has for me is from 2015 and only has 26k miles on it with paperwork.

Edited by tombaja
mis spelling and punctuation

Itll be like getting a new refrigerator by buying each part one at a time and assembling it at home. It's much easier to get a complete engine.  There's an incredibly amount of plumbing to make a turbo work to try and assemble it from scratch. 

Find a BLOWN complete turbo engine or vehicle so you can just swap blocks with it. 

You'll need all the up front exhaust, down pipe, intake, turbo crossmember or cut/modify yours, and stand alone ECU. 

• Like 1

Much simpler, given they made 2006 Baja XT's, to just buy one and start with that. The Baja XT is very similar to a similar year STi except with a 5MT. 

Cost to do this swap is probably in the neighborhood of $10k in parts to do it the right way. You'll always be money ahead starting with a turbo chassis from the factory. 

GD

• Like 2