Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:)  ....

98 Subaru Legacy 

Is there anyway to disable the alarm.

I wish not to use key fob...want to just manually use key to lock and unlock. If key fob brakes or low battery  ....you can sit with a vehicle and  can't move.

There must be  more options  

I looked on owners manual  ...I understand there's a push in button under fuse area .... I don't  want  to  use that option. I just want  to  use no fob

Thanks 

Does the '98 use the Alpine remote?  The '99 does - there's one module for the door locks and another for the security.  I had a '98 but never bothered to look at it.

So if yours does as well, you just have to unplug the security module.  They moved it around from year to year, so it's either up underneath the dash or under the parking brake lever.

Dead battery in fob won't strand you, you get in (alarm honking) and use the ignition key to quickly cycle the ignition from off to on 3 times, that disables the alarm. Then , of course, you drive to the store and buy a battery for the fob, or you will be doing the procedure again.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Ahem... My rather extensive diversion into the world of the Alpine system revealed that as the ignition switches get old, they get noisy and the counts become NFG - that's why you can't get an old car to program itself to a fob.  So (assuming this is an Alpine) I wouldn't consider the three-cycles-to-turn-off-alarm to be reliable.

well, just parroting the procedure and what I experienced a coupla times. But, it certainly is no fun sitting in the car with the alarm blaring and cycling the ignition, all the more reason to change the battery or buy a replacement fob.

there must be a fuse that could be pulled to disable the security system?

Have to look at the '98 schematic.  Something like that draws so little power that there's little sense (from a design standpoint) in dedicating a fuse to it alone.  So it's likely that it's on a fused supply rail that also powers other stuff.  Better to track down and disconnect the module itself.

• Like 1

Put it in valet mode...I dunno if '98 has it, but my '03 does with the alpine security system. You unlock the car, open the drivers door, while it's open hold the unlock button down for 3 seconds, then the security light will start flashing on the dash...assuming it's the same as mine. It's all in the user manual....easily searched online in pdf format. If it has a security system odds are it has valet mode. Then the fob just controls the door locks.