Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 legacy tranmission into 1991 legacy

Will a 1993 legacy auto transmission fit into a 1991 legacy with an auto transmission?

My dad got a leak in the trans cooler line on his 1991 legacy and drove 1/4 mile to the house. So I found a donor car that was in a mild fender bender. How do I know if I have a match?

Thank you for you guys help:headbang:

20181022_134504.jpg.c898f644e783ae2e37d160fda542a567.jpg

1/4 of a mile? thats it?

fix the leak, refill the trans and test it out... you may not need to do any swapping if it only went a 1/4 mile

btw - sweet sedan... dont often see them that old

Edited by heartless

Yep but I think the damage was done already(he's not sure how long it was leaking). I did fix the leak, It didn't shift right after I refilled it.So I loaded it on to a trailer took the car to my local guru. They took off the trans pan and said "it looked like a hand grenade went off in there, it's toast". So I parked it like a year ago and here we are.

I also needish the ej22 from the donor for my car:headbang:

FILE0018.jpg.7c3cbdd45d36d5cda81a044c0a4a1899.jpg

• Like 2

The '90-'91 NON-turbos were 4.11 FD ratio for the Automatics; '92-'94 were  all (including turbo) 3.90 FD ratio, so you 'll need to swap in the rear diff to match.

You can swap in a '95-'98 EJ22 Auto trans from a Legacy Brighton L or LS (not the EJ25D-equipped OB, GT, LSI, SUS), and Impreza L, LX, OB sport (not the '98 EJ25D RS) as they're all 4.11, too.

The '91 TCU 'should' run it as is.

There's a possibility that if you change the TCU you might need the same year cruise control computer (by the passenger's footwell). 

FWIW, The '90-'94 non-turbo 5-speeds were all 4.11; '91-'94 SS/turbos were 3.90.

Edited by wtdash