Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires for 13" rims

Hi All,

I have an 87 Brat that i use as my daily driver year round.  In the summer i spend plenty of time going out into the mountains on rough dirt roads to go hiking.  Got a flat tire doing that yesterday and fixing it today i notice that i'm on my third patch for this worn out tire.  Does anyone know of a way to get 185/70-13 tires in the US that might hold up a bit better than the super crappy Toyo Eclipses that i run?  I have a nice set of 14" rims that i got from Australia that i swap on in the winter, but i'd like to just keep my snow tires and summer tires mounted on separate rims so that they're easier to swap.  It seems that the options for 13" tires in the US these days are really limited.  Anyone know of a good supplier or a way to get good ones from another country?

I had the same problem when I put new rubber on my 81 not to long ago, limited selection and expensive for a 13" tire.  The tire shop said not a lot of cars these days run 13" rims so I can only imagine the problem is going to get worst.

I have Toyo Extensa A/S 185/70r13 made in japan oddly enough so it doesn't solve your Toyo problem but maybe a different tread pattern can help, maybe the ones you have are made in a different country with garbage quality control.

Mostly I run highway miles so can't give a positive/negative review but they have not had a flat yet, knock on wood.

Good luck

Edited by Subi81
grammar is gooder

I run walmart douglas tires. They are like $45 bucks a pop, and I get over 20K a each even with a crappy rear alignment. You can also get the 165/80R13 Forceum MTs for <$100 each on EBAY when they are instock. They are durable as hell, and are truck tires rated for 40% more load than the normal car tires 1400 vs 1000 pounds.

Oooh, truck tires sound like they might be useful.  I think that part of my problem is using the Toyos for offroading when that's not really what they're designed for.  I'd definitely be interested in something that would be more durable and puncture resistant.  Thanks!

On 7/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, HRBrat said:

Does anyone know of a way to get 185/70-13 tires in the US that might hold up a bit better than the super crappy Toyo Eclipses that i run?

My 87 DL came with Kuhmo Solus tires which I run in several other sizes on multiple vehicles. Here is a listing at Wally World for the 185-70R13. I've never had issues with any Kuhmos myself.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-Solus-TA11-All-Season-Tire-185-70R13-86T/45693068

Edited by azdave

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Ionstorm66 said:

I run walmart douglas tires. They are like $45 bucks a pop, and I get over 20K a each even with a crappy rear alignment. You can also get the 165/80R13 Forceum MTs for <$100 each on EBAY when they are instock. They are durable as hell, and are truck tires rated for 40% more load than the normal car tires 1400 vs 1000 pounds.

Have you or anyone you know ran these Forceum tire? I've been looking at them for about a month now, but I've never run anything but factory size tires on my 89 gl. Hesitant only because I'm not sure if they would rub, I have a driveway that has a rather extreme angle you have to take to enter the road.

• 2 weeks later...

165/80R13 were stock on Loyales in Canada.  They will fit perfectly, if you can get them.   I ran them for years, until they were no longer available, and had to go to 155/80R 13 for snow tires, and 175/70R13 for summers, which reduced the ground clearance, load capacity, and speedometer accuracy. 

On 11/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, TRAVIS75 said:

Have you or anyone you know ran these Forceum tire? I've been looking at them for about a month now, but I've never run anything but factory size tires on my 89 gl. Hesitant only because I'm not sure if they would rub, I have a driveway that has a rather extreme angle you have to take to enter the road.

they are much thicker than normal so be aware the ride will be worst.

17 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

they are much thicker than normal so be aware the ride will be worst.

I received them on last friday and had them installed on Monday. Much to my surprise, I notice no difference in noise, and even the ride feels the same. We've had a bunch of snow recently, and despite the best efforts of the plow crews for the city. Many stretches of road have many many areas that the snow is frozen into ruts and big chunks. I've hit these with my previous street tires I had on, as well as these ones I just received and they actually handle the crappy stuff better. Overall, I'm very impressed with them.