Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator Hose Rock Hard w/ Intermittent Heat 02 Impreza N/A

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to replacing the heater box.  7 hours later, everything seems fine.  My heat is hotter than it was before and the AC is nice and cold. 

I did end up breaking the trim piece that holds the clock...Anyone know where I could pick one up?  Ebay has them for about $90 including the clock (my clock doesn't work so that may not be a bad option).  Anyone on here have a parts vehicle to sell from?  I have a black dash.

Edited by Daskuppler
  • Like 3

Great to hear things are fixed! 

Also you're talking about the pod on top center of the dash?  I have a 2003 impreza and it cracked, replaced it with a 2006 one, it also cracked.  The plastic just gets brittle over time.  I've given up repairing it and covered the hole with some scrap plastic sheeting and double stick tape.  

8 hours ago, nvu said:

Great to hear things are fixed! 

Also you're talking about the pod on top center of the dash?  I have a 2003 impreza and it cracked, replaced it with a 2006 one, it also cracked.  The plastic just gets brittle over time.  I've given up repairing it and covered the hole with some scrap plastic sheeting and double stick tape.  

That would be the piece. I don't know how you could ever remove it without breaking it or the dash around it

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 11:17 AM, Daskuppler said:

I finally got around to replacing the heater box.  7 hours later, everything seems fine.  My heat is hotter than it was before and the AC is nice and cold. 

I did end up breaking the trim piece that holds the clock...Anyone know where I could pick one up?  Ebay has them for about $90 including the clock (my clock doesn't work so that may not be a bad option).  Anyone on here have a parts vehicle to sell from?  I have a black dash.

We may deal with the heater box replacement on my uncle's incoming Impreza TS project. Got to finish installing the suspension, off road tires, and brake pads on the Silverado before we can clear the garage.

7 hours ago, Grennick said:

We may deal with the heater box replacement on my uncle's incoming Impreza TS project. Got to finish installing the suspension, off road tires, and brake pads on the Silverado before we can clear the garage.

If you have questions, let me know. It was.all.pretty straightforward. I was no able to get it out without discharging the AC system. Make sure.you have something handy to hold the steering column up, you don't want to pull the firewall grommet out.

Also, the airbag module has to be removed and is a toex head. I'm not sure what size it is, I just used vice grips in the head since I didn't have the right size. The bolts aren't in super tight.

If you don't have trim/panel tools, get some.

• Like 1