Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto to Manual

I have a 92 subaru Loyale and a 86 subaru gl10. The 92 loyale has been my daily driver for nearly a year but it’s been stuck in 4WD and I’m tired of the chirping slipping and I want to just floor it and go. I just recently bought a low mile 130000 mile gl10 which was supposed to replace my Loyale but it has fueling issues it’s a piece of spoob all around it wasnt taken care of but everything works besides it doesn’t run well so the wagon will continue to be the main so I’ll use it for parts. The gl10 has the push button 4WD auto I’m wondering if I can just throw in the automatic transmission i don’t know what all need to happen in order for it to be compatible. In my head I bolt up the new transmission and connect a few wires and life is good right? Help me… merry Christmas happy Hanukkah cheers ahead of time

my 86 turbo sedan was three speed auto , with a button to select 4 WD and the crazy function to have 4WD auto selct if wipers, brakes or kickdown circuits in use, if button on dash was on. The tricky circuitry for this on my RHD sedan was left of steering wheel close to those odd little squares of vents in the plastic dash face. You might find your right of steering column. My trans still worked fine after the auto select circuits died during alternator spike or surge that killed many things sineYou have the whole donor, should be no reason it won't fit and work.. Need a trans cooler of some sort that your manual version not likely have. Separate coolers are a good idea anyway. Odd thing about the 3 speed 4WD auto of this year - front diff ratio is 3.45:1 yet rear diff is standard 3.7:1 so check rear diff is not 3.9:1

Edited by Steptoe's photos

On 12/26/2022 at 7:13 PM, J41YD3D. said:

I have a 92 subaru Loyale and a 86 subaru gl10. The 92 loyale has been my daily driver for nearly a year but it’s been stuck in 4WD and I’m tired of the chirping slipping and I want to just floor it and go. I just recently bought a low mile 130000 mile gl10 which was supposed to replace my Loyale but it has fueling issues it’s a piece of spoob all around it wasnt taken care of but everything works besides it doesn’t run well so the wagon will continue to be the main so I’ll use it for parts. The gl10 has the push button 4WD auto I’m wondering if I can just throw in the automatic transmission i don’t know what all need to happen in order for it to be compatible. In my head I bolt up the new transmission and connect a few wires and life is good right? Help me… merry Christmas happy Hanukkah cheers ahead of time

Unlike newer autos which can be excellent, those autos are horrible. Highly not recommended to do that swap. 

You’ve got a couple options some are very simple:

1. remove rear half of driveshaft and locked 4WD will now be FWD. 

2. Unbolt the 4WD cable from the bracket on the side of the trans, so you can manually move the lever on the side of the trans. Manually push it forward abs back for fwd and 4WD. Be advised it doesn’t move easily.

3. Remove the cable from the 4WD and bolt a long rod to it so you can just grab it under the hood and pull it back and forth for 4WD or FWD.  Ive run a rod like that and routed it inside the cabin passengers side, but I don’t recommend it . I used some of that long straight steel they have at Lowe’s.

3. Fix it. Check vacuum lines and the big bellows looking actuator. That’s probably the issue