Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Impreza OBS 2.5, Manual Trans Fly Wheel?

I picked up a 06 Impreza OBS 2.5, Manual Trans.  The car made a Brrrrr sound when first taking off or letting off the gas.  Other than that the clutch and trans seemed fine.

I pulled the trans today and the Fly Wheel is the two piece version.  Not the solid.  I think they call them dual mass?  Can the Dual Mass fly wheels be surfaced.  

I thought I had a spare solid fly wheel but I could not find it in stock.

Get the original surfaced?

Buy a new solid fly wheel?  

Thanks

Larry

I bought a new dual mass flywheel from Subaru for mine, but they are expensive. It'll never be right if it is resurfaced. They disintegrate easily when abused, and the shrapnel can tear up the rear side of the block.

We have tried a couple of conversions to a single mass flywheel at the shop and they both had problems.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Thanks 1

I used an EJ22 gen1/2 solid flywheel in my sister’s Gen3 EJ251 without issues. The issue with the dual mass flywheel was that it made that little squeaking noise at idle, it didn’t sound right. 

From memory the second hand flywheel at the pick a part year was about $50. Winning. 

Cheers 

Bennie