Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car has 127k miles    Ad says does not run, needs timing belt.   Selling it cheap.   I can do head gaskets and  timing belt/ water pump etc...    

They want 600 bucks.      

What should i expect .   ?   Would you just replace / get new heads and put  em on?     Is this worth it.   Probably fix it and flip it.

Im not sure what engine is in it..  2.2 or 2.5

Edited by xdeadeye1

I would ask for very specific pictures of the underside. If you’re not 100% certain of what I mean do a little look through the archives and you’ll see the “rear box” mentioned a lot. I’m from a rust zone and didn’t look to see where you’re from. 

Regardless there’s always the four cam engine with its head gasket issues to consider avoiding but you seem to want to take that on. Keep in mind that back 15 years ago or so people were falling all over themselves to do a 2.2 swap. 

Good luck with your decision.

You should have Dual Port Exhaust on your DOHC 2.5. - a 95 2.2 has dual port exhaust.  96 -98 2.2 are single port exhaust so you'd need to change the y pipe.  Most junk yards cut those as they take off the CAT so you'd buy a new one.

EGR, the best is just to make sure both engines have one.

17 hours ago, xdeadeye1 said:

Ive pulled a 2.2 and a 2.5  engines before.  Did the Head gasket and timing belt.  But never with the  4 cams.    The 2.5 i did was a 2001 model.  

is the 2.2 plug and play with the 2.5 transmission?

If you get a 2.2 from a 1995 automatic legacy/outback it will be plug and play and bolt in for YOUR 1998 (not all EJ25's, but it will for that 1998 outback).

Any 1995-1998 EJ22 can also work with some attention to EGR and exhaust which are very easy.