Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pesky air noise from windows...

Hey all. I haven't posted in quite a long time, but one of the things that I had posted about in the past was the annoying air leaks that I would get when the drivers window was closed. Right by my ear. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to seal tight enough. I had that door apart more times than I can count and played with the adjusters for the window umpteen times. I even replaced the door seal 3 times with others found in a JY. No luck. Finally fixed it:

I adjusted the window so that it was as tight as I could get it (with the seal around the door) and stuck pipe cleaners behind the rubber door seal all along my trouble spots. It makes the rubber come out just enough to seal it tight. The pipe cleaners fit well in between the seal and the door (almost like a channel made for them in there) and did the trick. At first they cause small leaks elsewhere along the seal, but I kept adjusting them and added another one and ultimately it got rid of the leak(s). I've had it up to 85mph on the highway and no wind noise.:cool:

I know from asking before, that there were several others here with the same issue so I thought maybe this would help. Good luck.

By the way, it's a 1989 GL touring wagon, 4wd, 3at with 70k (original) on the clock.

Might sound strange but I had this same problem on my DL. Drove me NUTZ!

Ok what I did to fix it was grab my wife's favorite tool-The almighty Glue Gun. Took off the rubber molding and quickly put a layer of hot glue down and put molding back in place. I then applied pressure from the inside for a min or two with the door closed. And Bam no noise what so ever, and should be fairly long term fix. Strange but easy fix for me.

---------

Dr.Krazy

88' 2wd DL=Daily Driver

94' Legacy Wagon=Wife's Driver

(few more projects not worth mentioning atm)

or adjust the door within the frame, then adjust the glass in the door

Not sure if you know the secret to this or not, but I had been down this rooute many, many times. Adjusted the door, adjusted the window, readjusted the door etc, etc. Never could get it to stop blowing in my ear. Normally not such a bad thing, but not from my Sube.