Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help! leaking engine block '84 brat

Hi:

Bought a 1984 Subaru Brat off ebay 2 mos ago, seller lied about engine leaks. I had my usual mechanic go over it, replaced rear seal and just about every seal he could lay his hands on. Get it back, still leaking like crazy. Took it back, he put in that glowing stuff, (I did get to wear those cool goggles), and he shows me that it is leaking around the block. He says he had trouble getting upper bolt to tighten, thinks there is a hairline crack maybe. We're thinking replacement. Of course I'm not a happy camper because I just paid too much to have every seal replaced!!!! What do you guys think about this? Where can I even find another ea81 engine (I'm biased against rebuilds)?

Any help is much appreciated! This is my dream car, I am an extremely proud Brat owner, and I want her to run forever!

Thanks!

Welcome.

The first place that you can start is the marketplace forum. There maybe one on there every once in a while.

A Pick a part is also another source.

Good luck and congrats on your BRAT.

BW

if ur mech. says he had trouble getting bolts tight, i would try for a second opinon 1st? did u see the hairline crack or r u guys just assuming since u cant find nothing else? and exactly what is leaking and from what area and these guys on the board might be able to diagnose it further for u? gluck:drunk: bb

Hey bratgirl This is Jerry, email me with your address so i can send you some stuff the is made for CASE backhoes. It is the coolest stuff sence sliced bread, you can use this stuff on water on oil on gas on tranny fulid and on gear oil. If this stuff don't stop the oil leak then you got a big problem. My email is bratsrus@elltel.net Thanks Jerry

What fluid are you leaking and from where exactly? I have never seen an EA81 crack a block.... possible I suppose, but unlikely I should think. The head gaskets will blow log before the block crack's..... manufacturing defect's do happen, but one would think it would have shown itself long before it reached the age it is now.... Sounds like you need a new mechanic - he's debugging your car with new parts - never a good sign in my opinion. Unless he can demonstrate that the block is indeed cracked, he's just speculating. When he points to a huge crevice and says "there it is", and you can both see it, you can believe it, but until then get another opinion.

GD

I must admit I don't know enough about engines in general and ea81's (1.8L, OHV, carburated, if this info helps) in particular - I have to take my mechanics word for the name of the part that is leaking, although I did see the leak with my own eyes at least. He says it's the block, it's on the motor's right side behind the dipstick, on the top side of engine, looks squarish, I could see the oil leaking out from behind it, and is leaking enough to make a small puddle underneath while I watch. For the moment, I'm just gonna try to tell myself the smell of roasting oil is delicious and drive it until something messes up. Otherwise engine has great power, runs smooth, etc. Although the cylinder heads are leaking motor oil also, there is no smoke so I don't think there's a blowen head gasket, but I don't know enough to make that call.

What fluid are you leaking and from where exactly? I have never seen an EA81 crack a block.... possible I suppose, but unlikely I should think. The head gaskets will blow log before the block crack's..... manufacturing defect's do happen, but one would think it would have shown itself long before it reached the age it is now.... Sounds like you need a new mechanic - he's debugging your car with new parts - never a good sign in my opinion. Unless he can demonstrate that the block is indeed cracked, he's just speculating. When he points to a huge crevice and says "there it is", and you can both see it, you can believe it, but until then get another opinion.

GD

Although the cylinder heads are leaking motor oil also, there is no smoke so I don't think there's a blowen head gasket, but I don't know enough to make that call.
Didn't you say that your mechanic had replaced all the seals and stuff? Sounds like the valve cover gaskets are leaking, easy fix less than $10 in parts. Find yourself a real mechanic.

Could you post some pics. of this crack, your talking about?

Craven

I'll second the second opinion thing. However, what have you got against engine rebuilds? It's highly unlikely that you'd find a low mileage EA81; especially at a bargain price. There's a few good rebuilders out there: ccrinc (http://members.aol.com/CCRInc/RebuiltSubaruEngines.html) for one; there's an excellent one here in WA state but that's a bit far for you to consider. By the way, from your description of the leak, it sounds like it's coming up from the dipstick hole. I'd have to look, but that part unbolts and I think has an oil seal which should be easily replaceable. Anyway, best of luck and welcome to the proud owners of Brats family!

PS: Ebay has a pretty good fraud prevention program. It may not be worth the effort or aggravation, but you might have some recourse through ebay to recover some of the cost of resolving/repairing this.

I 2nd the 2nd mechanic thing too, but you sound educated enough to run in circles. If you already paid this mechanic to replace a bunch of gaskets, and its still leaking... then you need to question the work he did. A hairline fracture wouldnt leak as much as your describing. Any crack that'd leave a puddle in 5 min is a crack big enough for the human eyes to detect. It really sounds like a gasket problem.

Is this your 1st Subaru? Every Subaru I have owned has leaked oil. Even engines Ive resealed. Its just a common problem with the Flat 4 design, but one we live with.

Enjoy the brat, and carry a couple quarts behind the seat. Think nothing of it until you see the smoke out the tailpipe and have fun driving with the T-Tops open :)

-Brian