Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear suspension - one tire rubs the mud guard in front of it, the other side doesn't.

The drivers side rear tire basically touches the mud guard (the front mud guard) and rubs the metal even with the mud guard removed.  The passengers side tire has 1/2" clearance with the mud guard still in place. 

The drivers side rear corner also sits a little lower to the ground than the passengers side.  I have a different spring to install that'll level it all out - but lifting it pushes the tire FORWARD more right? Making the rubbing worse? 

But also lifting it a little will get the body a little further away from the tire. 

This is on an XT6 but they have THE SAME rear suspension as an other EA82. 

The 3 bolts between the outer and inner trailing arm can be loosened and adjusted to adjust toe and camber, so it is possible that it is adjusted differently. Might be worth a tape measure alignment.

Or, a worn bushing could change the goemetry.

I'd get under there with a tape measure and see where the discrepancy is.

On 10/19/2023 at 7:17 PM, czny said:

Are the drivers side "K" cross member body nuts intact & bolts tight?

Are the 3 toe-in bolts on the rear adjusted & tight? Or are some missing?

Stuff happens.

All looks normal (owned over 20 XT6's over 30 years). 

21 hours ago, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

Another remote possibility is, that the car is using mismatched tyre sizes, side by side...

...or a broken coil spring / shock absorber somehow.

You better do a closer inspection of the suspension on each side, comparing parts.

Kind Regards.

New tires and struts, coils good. 

3 hours ago, Numbchux said:

The 3 bolts between the outer and inner trailing arm can be loosened and adjusted to adjust toe and camber, so it is possible that it is adjusted differently. Might be worth a tape measure alignment.

Or, a worn bushing could change the goemetry.

I'd get under there with a tape measure and see where the discrepancy is.

Ah thanks, I didn't think of checking the bushings.  I'll check those bolts too. 

These are brand new 225 60 16" tires, so they're huge for an older gen/XT6.  Definitely won't go that big again.

Do you know Numbchux - raising the rear 1" of suspension lift, that causes the rear wheel to move *Forward* in the wheel well right?  Because the rear control arm will make an arc forward? 

I have a much shorter front drivers spring installed than the front passengers side (don't ask, I was experimenting), and it's making the entire drivers side, even the rear sit lower about an inch.  Once I lift that back up and get the 1" back in the rear -  and that should pull the body up above the horizontal widest part of the tire.  So that'll gain some clearance just by raising it back up that 1".  Although then I'll be at risk of rubbing if I carry more weight in the car and it sits lower. 

I think that 1" lift will gain more clearance than i'll loose due to the swing/arc of the rear cross member pulling the tire forward a little. 

On 10/20/2023 at 9:16 PM, idosubaru said:

Do you know Numbchux - raising the rear 1" of suspension lift, that causes the rear wheel to move *Forward* in the wheel well right?  Because the rear control arm will make an arc forward? 

Yep. I had the first AA lift, which didn't drop the rear crossmember like the BYB/PJD ones did (woa....I think that was 18 years ago...yuck).

The rear suspension pivots around that front bushing, which is basically right at the front lower corner of the bodywork. So the tire swings forward from the centerline of the wheel well, but I don't think it gets any closer to the sheet metal. But maybe a not-rusty rocker (what's that?) would stick down a bit below that bushing and be a problem. I can't quite picture how it would all work

• Thanks 1