Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don’t think I’ve gotten H4s of that vintage. 06+ H6 installed years ago, after 135k miles it started headgasket issues last year. Came with two damaged connectors from shipping, not unsurprising for shipped/JDM engines. taped one and never had issues and spliced the other from the original engine. 

I installed new VCGs and OEM iridium spark plugs…and probably the oil cooler seal, when I installed the engine and never touched the engine again for 135,000 miles except oil and belt. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

Installed an 02 H6 four years ago, had issues with engine harness that were solved with using bits of the stock harness. No engine issues since then after 60k miles. Didn't touch the JDM head gaskets. Alt failed a few months ago but just normal wear. Swapped the stock intake over to the donor. There's a writeup on here somewhere for the whole job. I also have an 07 H4 JDM on a pallet waiting for me to put it in...I'll probably write that one up too. The only issues I've had with JDM engines is finding supply, and shipping damage, stock is low. Unwrap the engine completely and put some eyeballs on it before signing the delivery paperwork or that shiny creampuff is yours, damage and all. 

Edited by 89Ru
  • Like 1

Just getting tougher and tougher on us backyard wrenchers. Years ago I’d gotten JDM stuff from Jersey on our coast and a couple places out west. The quality was remarkable. But nobody really cares like they used to. The guy crating, the shippers, etc. 

Thanks for posting. 

Even though I’m getting to the age I should stop working so much on our cars I still cannot accept the new products they shove at us. So I can see myself still keeping our aging fleet going at least a few more years if not much longer. 1994 Legacy, 2003 Legacy wagon, 2003 Legacy sedan, 2006 Outback wagon and for now my true classic is my 1979 4wd wagon but that might be upgraded soon. 

Screw new !

I got a SOHC EJ20 a couple years ago for an '01 Forester. The donor engine was much newer than that.

SOP is to swap the intake manifold, and all wiring/sensors/injectors/throttle body/coil/etc from your old engine. Oil pan will likely be different, leaving more room for the larger cat, swap it for more capacity, or don't. Good idea to do plugs, valve cover gaskets, oil separator and timing while it's out. It will almost certainly have a 7mm oil pump, so I would swap to a 9 or 10. BUT, read the fine print from the seller, as removal of anything sometimes can void the warranty.

I bought through eBay, as that would have some standardized way to look at seller history and feedback. And as a result, there is some incentive for them to make things right if things went sideways.

I also paid with a credit card through paypal, so I would have 2 ways to dispute the charge.

I've heard so many horror stories over the years about importers that send out junk, leave customers out to dry, and then change their name after a couple years and some bad publicity.

• Like 1