Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Relocation - Bring it IN!

After some seriouse offroading last weekend my fuel pump bracket ripped off the unibody/subframe. I noticed it dangelying freely by the wires and hoses. Good thing it was still working! It held on there for the 2 hour drive home. I didnt notice it dangeling there untill after some light wheeling the next day.

It's obviously time to do something about it. Leaving it where it is will not work for me. I'll simply rip it off again the next time I hit some deep stuff. So last night I started relocating it inside the cabin.

I pulled the pump off and started wiping off rust, dirt, and such. At one end is the fitting for the main line out of the gas tank. The other end has a longer fitting. There is some funny spring loaded thing at this end. Is this a pressure regulator or something? I know its spring loaded becuase when i 'wiped' away some rust half of the little deal crumbled showing the inside. What is this thing? :confused:

Thx !_!

I think your hunch is correct. If it has a diaphragm on the end of it, my FSM seems to indicate that it's a pressure regulator - which my book says is replaceable.
Yep its definatly a diaphragm on the end there. Replacable.. exaclty what I was hoping to hear :)

I thought the fuel pressure regulator was up on the throttle body of my SPFI intake mani? Are there two then? Also I found no sign of a rear fuel filter. Where EXACLTY would this be on a '88 GL EA82 ? I have one up under the hood I've replaced.

Thanks for looking in your FSM :drunk:

Two things to consider, first, fuel system parts in the passenger compartment can be VERY dangerous and is most likely illegal, maybe a safer external location or skid plate would be better. Second, Electric fuel pumps don’t “pull” very well, which is why the factory puts them close to the tank and near the level of the tank bottom, any relocation should do the same.

Gary

First, EA82's don't have a rear fuel filter. That's an EA81 thing.

Second, putting the fuel pump under the hood should be fine. Most older cars, including Gen 1 Subaru's had the pump under the hood (electric pump mounted to the firewall). Going way back you see a lot of mechanical fuel pumps mounted directly to the engine block.... quite common. Please don't put it in the cabin. Some people have also mounted SPFI pumps under the hood of EA81 cars when installing SPFI onto the EA81 engine. The carb pump feeds the SPFI pump under the hood. This is done because the car's original fuel line wasn't designed for the high pressure SPFI system.

I would go with an aftermarket Carter fuel pump. Check jegs or summit - they will have what you need.

GD

Well since the rear seat belts rusted and ripped out and all the rear seats are removed I'm not to worried about passangers. There is even stickers in japaneese/english that say no passangers allowed in 'cargo area'. This is strictly my ORV. Only room for a spotter :)

Not to worried about it's performance. I'm not increasing the distance from the tank and it's only being raised inches from its old location. There are holes in the unibody right there to allow the lines to come right up and hook it up directly above where it was.

There must be some confusing in what I said. It's not going under the hood. The fuel fitler is there right now. The pump is just going directly above where it is stock.