Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do I do with my old engine????

I know I can take it to the JY and they will take it, But I'm new at this, first engine swap ever. Should I rob anything from the old one???? It had a big oil leak, and died to to lack of lube (like my old lady :grin: ). Theres a blown out crack in the block, under where the fuel rail attatches. And where I took the oil pan off you can see little bits of broken metal shards throughout the engine. Is it, or parts of it, worth anything to anyone??? are there any parts anyone can think of I should save, or sell? Or is it just in the way and I should let it rot in the junk yard?

I don't throw out anything if I don't have to.

If you have room, dis-assemble it as much as you can and keep any parts that aren't obviously broke. Even broken parts may come in handy at some point. These old motors are getting hard to find.

Taking it apart would be a good experience also.

Tear it down to the block and find out what went bad.

I know I can take it to the JY and they will take it, But I'm new at this, first engine swap ever. Should I rob anything from the old one???? It had a big oil leak, and died to to lack of lube (like my old lady :grin: ). Theres a blown out crack in the block, under where the fuel rail attatches. And where I took the oil pan off you can see little bits of broken metal shards throughout the engine. Is it, or parts of it, worth anything to anyone??? are there any parts anyone can think of I should save, or sell? Or is it just in the way and I should let it rot in the junk yard?

Metal shards and cracks are definitely a bad thing, if the heads were still good I'd keep it for a rainy day.

keep the alternator, powersteering, (if equipped) if it's 5spd keep the flywheel, keep the intake, and oil pan to, pulleys, dipsticks I keep as much stuff off of em as I can get away with. keep all the nuts and bolts to. If you let the heads go to junk at least keep the exhaust studs as they are fairly hard to come across.

make sure they dont count your clean aluminum as irony, i took 300 pounds of engine blocks and stuff, and what i know was clean they counted as irony, and ripped me off about 50 bucks in weight, i was not happy, didnt know until ifter i had my weigh ticket.

in my case, it wast worth my time to clean up my aluminum for some 2 cents a pound. pop cans pay more than that. but thats my location, i wouldnt doubt dude re sorted the metal and paid himself what i should have got.