Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why the price difference?

i keep up with the message board often and i check autotrader.com on a daily basis for soobs and i am amazed at how much cheaper (usually) they are on the west coast. it also seems they are in greater quantity and better condition. so i look at worse conditioned, fewer choices and more expensive soobs on the east coast. do i have to move to the great northwest to get my fill of subarus? looks like i will eventually have to buy a one way ticket out west and drive a car cross country to get a decent deal.

They're cheaper there because there are so many. The NW is filled with mountains and outdoor type people. Subaru naturally sells well in such a market. Combine that with the fact that 90% of the areas there don;t salt the roads when it snows and you get long lived, cheap, easily available soobs.

6 of mine have been WA cars.. one was an AK car and the difference was pretty obvious.

Hey,

Feel free to blame the hippies here in Boulder Colorado. There seem to be soooo many cheap almost rust free rus here they have trouble giving them away. There are more rus in boulder then there are in all of Iowa. If you are really looking for a good used ru, better to get one out here then one on the east coast. We don't salt the roads to save the fist, and like the last person said, I also had an east coast car and a colorado car and the difference is huge. My current CO car has very very little surface rust. My old XT-Turbo had rust holes in the rear fenders the size of tennis balls and the rest wasn't much better.

Phil

Same here. Had a 79 rust wagon in(DREADED) pennsylvania. Have a 86 gl wagon in Arizona only rust is on the door where it got dented.Subes are not plentyful here and they are a little pricey(Paid 1000 for mine with 156.ooo on it over a year ago) But still wort every penny i paid for it! Hey you guys from C.O. send some subes down this way!!!

it also seems they are in greater quantity and better condition. so i look at worse conditioned, fewer choices and more expensive soobs on the east coast.

If you are serious about traveling for a scooby, check out Vermont. There are thousands of them here, the subaru legacy was the top registered car in the state of Vermont for 2003, according to the Burlington Free Press and VTDMV. Oddly enough, I believe there are more Pugs on the road per capita in Vermont than anywhere in the US as well.

Turtle

New England is where Subaru built its reputation.This is,or was,the "other hot spot".Never mind all the B/S,we who live here know the deal.

I can honestly say that I often get FREE to $150 running cars with under 150k.

I'm surprised.I thought the western hills of NC had a great Subaru population around Boone,etc.

Perhaps it's like up here these days.Subarus just don't sell as well as they did in the 80's.There's just too many choices now for 4WD and you know these well to do folks up here "have to" have the Mercedes or Volvo or Lexus,etc.....so there's far less Subarus per capita than ten years ago.Still see plenty of them, but the "box" era (Loyale style) ruled the roads in their hay day.