Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remove crankshaft sprocket???

Ok fellows, this has got to be easy but I sure don't see how to do it!! I want to get the crankshaft sprockets off my EA82, '87 GL wagon, so I can change the front crank seal. I've got the pulley off and the belts removed but don't see how to grab the sprockets and pull them off. I've tried some gentle prying but am afraid to damage the sprocket or damage the block gasket surface. The Subaru manual is a lot of help, it says "Remove crankshaft sprocket."???? I know the shaft is keyed but that is about it. Any help for a Subaru novice would be much appreciated.

Ok fellows, this has got to be easy but I sure don't see how to do it!! I want to get the crankshaft sprockets off my EA82, '87 GL wagon, so I can change the front crank seal. I've got the pulley off and the belts removed but don't see how to grab the sprockets and pull them off. I've tried some gentle prying but am afraid to damage the sprocket or damage the block gasket surface. The Subaru manual is a lot of help, it says "Remove crankshaft sprocket."???? I know the shaft is keyed but that is about it. Any help for a Subaru novice would be much appreciated.
send me your email ill scan the page out of the haynes book on removeing the sprockets. so i dont think its junk mail say what it is you need in message.

rat@mangyrat.com

here is what the haynes book says.

the crankshaft pully shuld come off buy hand but if not use a screwdriver on each side of it to lever it off evenly.

ill be doing the exact same thing tomarow to check the crankshaft seal. so i was looking at the book when i read the post.

guys i sent him a pic from the book i think he has a stuck crank shaft sprocket not the v belt pully.

one other thing to try other than prying it off is take a large socket and put it on the sprocket then hit it whith a hamer give it a good hit "but dont dent it not that hard" to lossent it up then try pulling it off by hand.

yes i was, sorry. but its still the same procedure i believe. sometimes they slide right off, sometimes they put up a fight, you just have to break it free. you can try a wooden handle and whack it with a hammer, or perhaps a rubber (or similar material) mallet and give it a sharp thud.

the socket trick should work as well.

and if all else fails, get a bigger screw driver.

tyler j

Same problem here when I did the re-seal on my EA-82. Those things were staying put...... But I put up a good fight, and finally managed to get them off by using a flat prybar in behind them. A little carefull persuasion, while properly talking to them, and they finally came off. I did have to coax them all of the way though. A bit of Anti-Sieze on the crank before re-assembly is advised.

I stopped by Harbor Frieght at lunch today and got a $6.00, 4 inch gear puller. With just a little pressure the crank shaft sprocket was crying for mercy and came right off. There were a couple spots of rust "welding" the sprocket to the crank. The second sprocket came off without any tools. Another success story for the Ultimate Subaru Message Board!! :) Thanks for all the help!!

RLM