Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New on here, looking for help for my daughter's Subaru

Hi, am new to this site and was encouraged to introduce myself.

I'm a VERY senior citizen

I live in N. California near Sacramento. I have no need for 4WD where I am, but my daughter does. She lives 120 miles from me in the foothills of the Sierras at 2000 ft. elevation on a steep dirt road. On that part of her trip home she needs 4WD all year round, and of course more so in winter.

Her boy friend died of cancer recently and left her his 1987 4WD dual-range wagon. It was already pretty tired, and now is giving her starting and running problems, very difficult for her since she also has medical issues, has to make frequent doctor visits, and is stuck at home right now. I will try to get up there to help her, but can't do it before Monday, and in the meantime I'm trying to get all the information I can in order to help her.

From what I've read on here, it sounds like she must have FI, not a carb, and to begin with I need to at least take a fuel filter up to install.

I have told her to join the group as well and hope she does, so that she can directly describe her problems to you...but if she doesn't, I will get back on here and try to be more specific. Right now I see I'm out of space--thanks, Ray McDonald fud2468@att.net

Hi Ray and welcome to the board. Hope your daughter joins up too, we need more gals here!!

As for the Subaru - yes, the 87 should be the single point (throttle body) fuel injection.

Not knowing when last it had one, I would suggest a basic tune up to start with in addition to the new fuel filter. New spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires if they need replacing. Highly recommend the NGK plugs, #BPR6ES, gapped at .044...

In order to give more specific info we will need more detail about what the car is doing. Post more as you can.

Good luck, These are GREAT little cars and relatively easy to keep running.