Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 sensor mad at low RPM start

My 88 XT GL MPFI 5MT doesn't like to be pulled away from a stop below 1000rpm, if I do so, it sometimes throws a CEL, then turns it off above 2000rpm. I finally got around to pulling the code, and it's 32, the O2 sensor...

Is this typical of EA82 engines, or should I look into replacing my sensor?

TIA...

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've since replaced my O2 sensor, replaced it with a universal one from Bosch and wired it myself. The problem seems to be alleviated, but not gone. I still had the CEL come on below 1000rpm and the car still sputters and struggles to get going every once in a while. I tried pulling the code on that CEL but the ECU didn't store the code :confused:

I've swapped MAF's twice and there is absolutely no difference between the two MAFs.

Any other ideas?

you need to actually check O2 voltage and understand what you are looking at. I have posted numerous times about checking 02s so I appologize as I will not do it again. check the voltage and get back to me. I will try to help.

when you installed the universal 02 you did not crimp the ground shielding to the signal wire did you?

Follow Russ's most excellent advise and

ground the shielding jacket to the body

of the 02 sensor with a hose clamp.

The ground, as in most cases, is as important as

the signal conductor.

Due to the fact exhaust systems are, for the most part, mounted by rubber vibration isolators

and corrosion likes to build on the fasteners.

The ground path for this relatively small signal

becomes a concern.

i'm not sure how the wiring is routed in the XT, but in the XT6 the O2 sensor wire runs through an opening in the cross member. it is unlikely but possible for the wiring to wear through and short out against the cross member. probably not your problem since you likely have all new wire there, but something to check if the wiring is old.

good luck mike

Russ, that reminds me, I should have told the rest of the story...

I cut the wire off the old sensor, and I happened to notice a few exposed areas where it looks like the inner DOJ had maybe dragged against the wire. More on that in a minute.

I crimped the butt connector on the new sensor onto the old wire and then installed it.

After all was said and done, I went back inside my garage and noticed the rubber sheathing that was supposed to go over the butt connector before I crimped it together :banghead: . So then I decided I better wrap some electrical tape around the butt connector and the exposed areas on the old wire that I noticed before, I did a very sloppy job of this by the way.

Is it possible that the wire is grounding out on the chassis somewhere and that is causing my CEL to come on momentarily? Maybe I need to bite the bullet and just go get an OEM-style sensor that plugs and plays for $25 more...

Thanks guys for the help.