Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 V6 Outback vs 02 4cyl Outback

Hi guys, getting another Subaru, keeping our 95 lsi wagon with 147k, running well, but need another car. Asking for pros/cons looking at 01 V6 Outback with 37k miles vs an 02 basic 4 cylinder with only 14k miles, basically the same $$$. The V6 is tempting. Will the increase in power be that noticable. The only Subs I've driven have been the 95, 91 and 94 wagons (the kids have inherited the 91 and 94) great cars, but underpowered.

Thanks for any input

H6 is nice but requires Premium fuel. H4 is pretty good to me in power.

H4 has t-belts which need peoridic maintence. H6 nope!

H4 is better on gas (which is cheaper because you can use reg. unleded)

Honestly it is a toss up in my book. But, since it is a subaru it is a good choice.

Me: I bought an 02 back in 2002 brand new and got the H4 but that was only b/c I demanded a 5 speed. If I could have bought an H6 with a sick shift...who knows....

BTW, the engine is Horizontally opposed not a "V" hence the "H".

Matt

It would be helpful to know how much you drive, whether it's mostly highway or not, if you carry a lot of gear or family, and if you're more performance or economy oriented in your driving habits. Or if you plan to tow anything or carry a roofbox or a couple of Kayaks or MB's on the roof.

Neither car will be winning any streetlight Oplympics. FWIW I talked to the owner of an H6 OBW (with 6 bikes on it, two on the roof and four on a hitch carrier) and he did not feel it was worth the extra money.

I have had both a 2000 4 cylinder Limited wagon and now a 2004 3.0 - 6 cylinder Outback Wagon. The power difference is substantial. The 3.0 is a quiet powerful car and it is very smooth. The 4 cylinder was okay, but when I got up in the mountains, it had to work. The 3.0 just moves along almost effortlessly. Passing another car on a 2-lane highway had to be planned with the 4-cylinder. With the 3.0 it is much easier. Yes, Premium fuel is recommended, but not required. For me it is worth it.

that everyone I have met with an H6 says no problems with the engine at all. The H6 seems to have been engineered to have no head gasket problems.
True enough, but how many people were reporting head gasket problems roughly four years ago? I've yet to meet an H6 onwer with more than 75,000 miles on the car.

• 1 year later...

You can run regular gas on a H6. Subaru "recommends" premium, but I've been running regular and the only thing I noticed was a hestitation when the engine is cold and a very small power loss, but it runs fine. With a turbo, you must use premium. The engine is more smoother and refined.

The only issue that was making some noise there for a bit on the H6 was the timing chain tensioner.

Drive them both, the h6 v6 the turbo, the power is always there, but it comes on in a lazy sort of way. The n/a H4 seems to have plenty of power unless your towing something, then the 6 would come in handy.

nipper