Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anbody Actually Dyno their EA-82T cars?

There has been a lot of talk about performance mods for EA-82Ts here lately, including the latest work to make EDIS and Fuel Management easy. The question is, has anybody actually dyno'ed their car? I'm thinking of doing some of these things, but I'm wondering what gains have actually been measured.

FWIW, there is now a 4wd dyno in Reading PA that is only minutes away from me, and I'm going to call and find out what dyno time costs.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I already spoke to WJM about this in a IM (Instant Message) but I plan on dynoing my RX really soon. I'm just trying to get it to pass motor vehicle inspection. As a matter of fact, I was going to go yesterday if it passed, straight from motor vehicle.

The first dyno session will be comparing the stock intake (which I believe I have in a box) vs a K&N filter mated to the airflow meter. I basically just want to see what it runs stock but since the car had a filter mounted up to the Maf sensor....... The filter was all rusted out so I stuck a ricer filter on it from my garage. If time permits, I'll get a K&N, otherwise I'll test the ricer vs stock panel filter. Pics will be posted up as well as a dyno chart. I already know what to expect from previous dyno runs by members here but what the hell. I'm curious! Besides, it'll be a baseline for further mods.

The car will be dyno'd at Xotic Motorsports in Cochranville, PA. I believe the dyno price went up to $60 or thereabouts. Used to be $50. It's $40 for 3 runs on weekends which are dyno days.

http://www.xoticmotorsports.com/

I have a question though. What gear should I dyno in (3rd or 4th)? I believe I read about WJM's and another person's run stating 4th gear is best and closest to that 1:1 gear ratio. However, 4th gear was a huge strain on the cars because the cars are so underpowered that it takes a long time to roll it up to 6500rpm.

So, what gear do you guys recommend a 4WD RX should be dyno'd in? Thanks!

If you Dyno a Turbo, is the turbo active or do can you take a non-turbo then turbo reading?

The turbo will be active.

How does that work as the turbo kicks in at a certain point.

You will get a dyno reading where you start recording at. If you start the dyno reading at 2000rpm, that's when the reading will start. The stock turbo's on EA82-Ts reach peak torque at 2800rpm. So there is most likely boost at somewhere off idle all the way up to when the car (or you) shift.

Anyone have stats on performance increases with an intercooler on the EA-82T cars?

Nope! There is a post with the temp difference of before and after intercooler installed. I know I haven't seen anything with before and after hp/torque results. I plan on posting info though but it still won't represent what you'll get even with the same setup. It's just a guideline. Must get passed through motor vehicle first, then the dyno. :) I hope someone else does a before and after intercooler installed though. Should be interesting.

The turbo will be active.

You will get a dyno reading where you start recording at. If you start the dyno reading at 2000rpm, that's when the reading will start. The stock turbo's on EA82-Ts reach peak torque at 2800rpm. So there is most likely boost at somewhere off idle all the way up to when the car (or you) shift.

Nope! There is a post with the temp difference of before and after intercooler installed. I know I haven't seen anything with before and after hp/torque results. I plan on posting info though but it still won't represent what you'll get even with the same setup. It's just a guideline. Must get passed through motor vehicle first, then the dyno. :) I hope someone else does a before and after intercooler installed though. Should be interesting.

I'm thinking of putting in an Intercooler so I'll try to get a pre and post reading.

Simon.

• 4 weeks later...
I know it's not an EA82T, but I dynoed my EA81T and got 120HP at the wheels. It has top mount intercooler, Turbo from EA82 and Wolf3d ECU. The rest is reasonable stock.
I just thought about this and was like *WOW*. 120hp with just an intercooler and Wolf3d. I have an EA82T and was only able to put down 75hp. All dyno's aren't the same I know.

I was just searching the archives and re-read this post. Don't mind me!

kevin you meant to say EA82T right? not EA82? just checking, i'm getting half confused with these night shift hours and all these cars you keep buying!
Yes I did! I'll correct it Gary. Thanks! :drunk: Nightshift does it to all of us.

I think 3 of the cars are only worth the price of a decent SVX. :( I be the poor man now and can't afford a WRX (I don't want one anyways). :-p