Ultimate Subaru Message Board

digidash now analog

I just spent the last 9 hrs rewiring my '84 gl10 cpe .It had the every option except 4wd and turbo.The digi dash worked everother bump,everthing else worked fine.I tried to fix digi but had no success,I looked at repinning the wires to work with analog but it looked completely different.So I removed a wiring harness from a donor car and installed it in the cpe.I did loose some of the optional epuiptment like the cruise but was able to keep power windows ,mirrors and a/c. The power window was a bit tricky but I added a power supply to two wires (big white and little blue/red stripe) on the passenger side to the widow controls.I still have to change the fuel sender tomorro and find why my heater blows cold.I suspect no thermostat because the temp reads low .I am pleased with the outcome ,now having working gauges but was alot of work to make a running car to be sold for $400.00.Oh yeah one other small problem car has auto and now it starts in all gears and has no kickdown/passing gear. That's tomorro's to do list .

If you've got any question ask soon while everything is fresh in my head.

to what extent did you modify the harness? or did you basically swap entire harnesses, and how much of that did you need?

I used the dash harness and the engine harness as a unit to match the analog dash.The only modification the the addition of the power to pwr windows.I chose the harness without a ecm so I had to change the wiring harness on engine to carb and sensors.I also changed the water temp and oil pressure sensors to match.

what about this one? my car is a turbo and 4x4, were there any of those that were anolog that would have complete harnesses? all the 84 4x4 t-coupes I've seen only had digidashes.So swapping entire asembly may not be possible.

I am currently parting out a 84 Turbo Wagon. I just took the dash and the analog dash out. I think that should be everything you need to convert your vehicle over. I have a 84 Turbo coupe parts car( digital car) , if you like I can see if the plugs coming out of the fire wall, will hook into this wiring harness.

I was a good boy, and did not cut any wires when I remove the dash assembly, though I was tempted. The radio portion of the dash wires have been cut previously.

BUT because it was an anolog dash car, it did not have power windows, so you will have to run those seperately. Also have to find wiring for the cruise, though that may be related to the ignition system, so you might be ok.